Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi driver conned me

Options
  • 16-03-2012 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi All my first post on this hoping you can help,

i got a taxi this evening as was heading down to my brothers its normally only €5 -€6 in a fare,

anyway i got in the taxi hailed off the road and was a irish man i got,

got to the destination where i wanted to go and he said it was €5 i handed the taxi man €20 and realised i had change in my wallet and told him dont worry about the 20 il give it to him in change, to which he handed me back €5 note,

to which he denied it down to the ground that i gave him 20 (when i know i did as its my birthday and took the fresh 20 from a card i got and put it into my wallet)
    i told him i was going to the garda to which he flipped saying he was going to charge me for driving me to the nearest station ,
    we go there and garda cant do anything
    i have his plate number and everything just wondering whats the next step can you recommend

Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 starhillroad

I think its a case for the taxi regulator.

My normal procedure is to quickly memorise the last 4-6 digits of any Banknote I tender. This is sufficient evidence to help in the event of a dispute. Never failed yet.

Unfortunately, I think it might be too late. Its quite hard to make a judgement of this nature online,

Sincerely yours

Starhillroad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Contact the regulator, they're very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,996 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

OP, all that will end up as is a game of "He Says" "She says" as there really isn't much to prove you in the right. You can contact the Regulator's office if you want; just be prepared for some old fashioned bureaucracy and paperwork beforehand.

NB, have you got the receipt to prove that you had a fare in the taxi at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Regulator is useless, they will tell you it is a criminal matter and to talk to the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

My normal procedure is to quickly memorise the last 4-6 digits of any Banknote I tender.

Really??? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Call the taxi again and go somewhere so that the trip totals €15 and then just get out and say - you can use the €15 you took off me to pay for that fare

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Its your word against his.

Ive had a few words with Dublin taxi lads over the years and wont use them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭topnotch

My normal procedure is to quickly memorise the last 4-6 digits of any Banknote I tender.
    Starhillroad
    I could never figure out why some people are so slow paying at tills:rolleyes:. They must be trying to memorise all those numbers.

What do you do if you have to use several notes to pay for something rainman?

Advertisement