Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Cutting in Ennis

Options
  • 16-03-2012 12:18am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

I have noticed that the grass has just been cut in a number of green areas around Ennis, but it has not been gathered up. The green area behind Dunnes Stores looks awful with all the withered grass and litter on the ground. I wonder if this practise is the norm around the country or does it only happen in Ennis. Is it me, but I have never seen Ennis looking so dirty and untidy, litter everywhere especially around the Railway Station. Tidy Towns winner - they must be joking!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Clareboy wrote: »
    I have noticed that the grass has just been cut in a number of green areas around Ennis, but it has not been gathered up. The green area behind Dunnes Stores looks awful with all the withered grass and litter on the ground. I wonder if this practise is the norm around the country or does it only happen in Ennis. Is it me, but I have never seen Ennis looking so dirty and untidy, litter everywhere especially around the Railway Station. Tidy Towns winner - they must be joking!
    I was actually looking at that green from the multi storey in Dunnes and my sister said that ball games are banned on that green. Is that true. If it's so bloody precious why don't they take better care of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭MOSSAD

It's good for the soil-that area was created after being a building site so the dead grass will naturally fertilize the site add humus to the soil and provide food for insects and birds. Give it a week or so and it will mostly be gone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

For the first few cuts, especially when the grass isn't fully growing yet it's best to just cut the grass and let the cuttings fertilize the grass itself, you'll be going a few weeks between cuts and there'll be a lot of rain so it'll "mulch" back in and give you great coverage for the rest of the summer. Ideally you want to spread some lawn seed/feed & weed around the middle of April as well for a nice green lawn.

I did all this last year (after getting advice from my father who loves gardening) and it made a fantastic job of my law, compared to a lot of the lawns in my estate mine is thriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

You don't want to do that too often though as you will then have to start dethatching your lawn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nope, only once at the start of the season, especially when it's still raining regularly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

It seems that it is now the policy of most Councils around the country not to collect the grass-cuttings but just to leave them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

It seems that the councils just could'nt be bothered gathering up the grass at any time of the year and they are using the wrong kind of grass cutting machines, which have no grass collectors. I was up in Ballinasloe last summer and I saw men cutting grass along the canal and they were using a proper machine with a grass collector. They were working for Waterways Ireland, so at least one organisation in the country knows how to cut grass properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mossy2

Leaving grass cuttings around is one thing. Leaving the ground strewn with litter is another. It always strikes me as odd that they should cut the grass at all as all it does is show the area up as a mini landfill. At least the grass was hiding the litter.
    And to answer your question - it's not just Ennis. It's both sides of every road in the country. Expect to see a lot more of it as the litter shredding grass cutting season kicks off

Advertisement