Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobseekers Benefit/Allowance & Shared Accomodation

Options
  • 15-03-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello im a little lost for answers to my question. I hope you guys can help.

My situation is:

I'm moving into a 4 bedroom house that's €500 per month and my girlfriend and brother are moving with me. Everything is going to be done properly, everyone signing contracts and changing address in social office. I am on job seekers benefit and i have a part time job my girlfriend is the same and my brother is only on benefits with occasional work. My question is will my income be affected by other people living in the same house as me? Yes my girlfriend is going to be living there but she could also be a total stranger. My brother is going to be living there and that's it really he's family but i don't see how his business has anything to do with me and my situation.

Ideally i would like us all to be separate in terms of income, I'm not looking for rent supplement or anything like that as i can afford to pay for my third of everything.

Any help would be really appreciated. & Any info on supplements would be great too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

laoisman88 wrote: »
    Hello im a little lost for answers to my question. I hope you guys can help.

My situation is:

I'm moving into a 4 bedroom house that's €500 per month and my girlfriend and brother are moving with me. Everything is going to be done properly, everyone signing contracts and changing address in social office. I am on job seekers benefit and i have a part time job my girlfriend is the same and my brother is only on benefits with occasional work. My question is will my income be affected by other people living in the same house as me? Yes my girlfriend is going to be living there but she could also be a total stranger. My brother is going to be living there and that's it really he's family but i don't see how his business has anything to do with me and my situation.

Ideally i would like us all to be separate in terms of income, I'm not looking for rent supplement or anything like that as i can afford to pay for my third of everything.

Any help would be really appreciated. & Any info on supplements would be great too.

Ok as you will now be co-hab with your girlfriend this will not affect either of your jobseekers benefit claims. But when and if either of your benefit exhausts then income from your respective employments will be assessed against both of you for jobseekers allowance which is a means tested payment and there will also be a max-payment imposed on both your claims... if your benefit exhausts at different times then max-pay and means will only apply to the person claiming jsa but when you both go on jsa then means and max-pay will apply to both claims.

Your brothers situation will not be affected by either you or your g/friends payments and vice versa.

BTW your g/friend will not be a complete stranger as you will now be living with her and if both of you declare otherwise you will both be committing fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 laoisman88

Thank you for the information. The fraud comment was unnecessary but ok :D. So a little edit to my info:

Its just my "friend" and i moving in now because my brother is unbearable to live with and myself and my "friend" are on Job seeker's Allowance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

And that is fraud as it is really your girlfriend.
    Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement