Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO Points to English Grades?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could please help me. I'm Having a bit of a confusing time here trying to figure out the entry requirements that I need for a college course I would like to do in England. The course requires an A* and 2 As to be accepted into the course. Does anybody know what the equivalent to that is in comparison to the Irish points system?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

~Mulciber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

That's about 4-5 As. It really depends on the university, there's no direct conversion. They don't make you an offer based on points, they'll ask you for specific grades, maybe in specific subjects. At least when you apply they'll either reject you or give you definite grades that if you achieve, you get the course. The system is very different.

Also - those offers can change every year, no guarantee that someone with A*AA would be offered a place. Personal statement, reference, predicted grades are also taken into consideration.

My course said typical offers were between AAA - ABB, they asked me for 5 higher level As.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

finality wrote: »
    That's about 4-5 As. It really depends on the university, there's no direct conversion. They don't make you an offer based on points, they'll ask you for specific grades, maybe in specific subjects. At least when you apply they'll either reject you or give you definite grades that if you achieve, you get the course. The system is very different.

Also - those offers can change every year, no guarantee that someone with A*AA would be offered a place. Personal statement, reference, predicted grades are also taken into consideration.

My course said typical offers were between AAA - ABB, they asked me for 5 higher level As.

Brilliant, that's what I was looking for, thanks. :) So I apply through UCAS and they will reply to me telling me how many A1s I will need to successfully enter the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

mulciber wrote: »
    Brilliant, that's what I was looking for, thanks. :) So I apply through UCAS and they will reply to me telling me how many A1s I will need to successfully enter the course?

Yup, exactly. I applied in January to 5 universities and heard from the last one about 2 days ago, it's all done through the ucas website. They do just reject people outright though if their personal statement isn't right etc. so it's not all about grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

finality wrote: »
    Yup, exactly. I applied in January to 5 universities and heard from the last one about 2 days ago, it's all done through the ucas website. They do just reject people outright though if their personal statement isn't right etc. so it's not all about grades.

Cool, that's brilliant. Thanks for your help. :D I'd better start working on my personal statement now then because I only have 7 months left to apply. =L

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

I have an offer of A1A1AAA
    The standard A-level offer for this subject is A*AA

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I have an offer of ABBB, the A-Level offer is generally AAB.

Advertisement