Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanic festival

Options
  • 15-03-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

What is the best thing to go to?. i was reading that they have interactive tour/museum and it sounds impressive but I can not find a site that has a clear indication of what is on when and where and what the show will be about.

i see there is a museum and that there will be fireworks. What night would these be on?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Bumped as interested in this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,847 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Google is your friend ;)

Some great info in those links.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Thanks Muffler!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭allquestions

I had the privilege of getting to the new Titanic experience in Belfast last weekend for a dry run before it opens on the 31st of March. It was amazing! It's all so well done, very modern, FULL of information. I was in it for about 4.5 hours and probably only read about half the things that were on the walls and the interactive screens. There are so many fancy and well though of sections that you never know what is around the next corner! I don't want to spoil it for anyone by saying too much, but it's well worth a whole day. There is a bistro and coffee shop on the ground floor along with the gift shop. Everything else is upstairs (with escalators and lifts available).

I was at it with a very inquisitive 7 year old and someone in a wheelchair; excellent for both. For the young one, there were lots of things that lit up and screens to watch and the staff were excellent at asking if we were ok and giving us extra little bits of information.

The accessibility was perfect as far as we were concerned. There are ramps and lifts everywhere as well as bathrooms scattered throughout the building. They have wheelchairs available for anyone that wouldn't be able to walk around it unaided. It has underground car parks and is just past the Odyssey Arena, so it's easy to find and get to. Plenty information available at www.titanicbelfast.com.

There are also fantastic views of the dock, the cranes and the city from the building. It was just a great day from start to finish. :D

Post no. 5 above moved to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mimbo

Howdy All,

I have booked to go to the Titanic Belfast exhibit in May. One of the major things I was looking forward to was the Replica of Titanic's Grand Staircase. I now discover that the staircase isn't put of the exhibit that is open to the general public at all. They have it squirrelled away in the banqueting section which at present doesn't form part of the tour.:mad:

I want to lodge my objection about this glaring omission from titanic tour. Why does the staircase appear in the ads for the exhibit if it isn't going to be part of the titanic experience.

Now, I know one or two of you on this thread have been to the exhibition already. Please let me know if it is still worth it without the staircase being present.:confused:

Does anybody else feel strongly about this issue?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Mimbo wrote: »
    Howdy All,

I have booked to go to the Titanic Belfast exhibit in May. One of the major things I was looking forward to was the Replica of Titanic's Grand Staircase. I now discover that the staircase isn't put of the exhibit that is open to the general public at all. They have it squirrelled away in the banqueting section which at present doesn't form part of the tour.:mad:

I want to lodge my objection about this glaring omission from titanic tour. Why does the staircase appear in the ads for the exhibit if it isn't going to be part of the titanic experience.

Now, I know one or two of you on this thread have been to the exhibition already. Please let me know if it is still worth it without the staircase being present.:confused:

Does anybody else feel strongly about this issue?:mad:

VISITORS to Titanic Belfast will be able to have their 'Kate Winslet moment' after bosses originally tried to reserve a replica staircase for conferencing or banqueting events.

There was uproar after it emerged that part of the North's newest tourist attraction would be off-limits for regular guests.

But in an attempt to stop the criticism a new series of events called 'Staircase Sundays' have been introduced.

The majestic staircase, made famous by the 1997 film, sparked a wave of complaints after it was revealed that it would only be accessible to those who were attending functions at the £97m (€117m) building.

This meant that customers who paid to visit the centre could not access the staircase, which was custom-built using red oak.

However, less than two weeks after it officially opened, Titanic Belfast is now looking to introduce 'Staircase Sundays', which will give members of the public an opportunity to pose on the staircase in the style of Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio.

"Titanic Belfast are delighted to announce that they will be holding Titanic Tea Parties across selected Sundays, held in the opulent surroundings of the Titanic suite, featuring the near-replica grand staircase," a spokesperson for the venue has revealed.

However, the events are so far only planned for a selection of weekends across May and June, so public access to the staircase will remain restricted to certain dates.

Titanic Belfast has met with massive success since its official opening on March 31 and has attracted widespread publicity.

Last week, Una Healy's Saturdays bandmate Rochelle Wiseman posed with her JLS fiance Marvin Humes on the staircase.

The anniversary has proved to be more educational than previously anticipated for some. A Twitter timeline has gone viral, which shows numerous people in shock having only just discovered that the Titanic was a real event and not just a plot created for the 1997 blockbuster film.

http://www.herald.ie/news/movie-fans-will-have-their-kate-winslet-moment-on-the-sumptuous-staircase-3077637.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

That iceberg was the greatest thing to happen to Belfast. Tourism would be fooked without it.

Howdy,

Thanks for the article Shifty. It's a definite move in the right direction but I'm still of the opinion that it isn't enough. :mad:

Titanic Belfast wished to keep this staircase for their exclusive customers. If they truly wished to bring the history and the interiors of the Titanic to the public, the staircase should have been on public display from day one. If you haven't booked to visit the exhibition on Sunday, you are completely out of luck. Its not good enough. In my humble opinion, a large part of the exhibition budget has been spent on replicating this iconic piece of Titanic and they don't want it destroyed by the general public.:mad:

"Staircase Sundays" is a step in the right direction but its not enough!

Yes I do feel strongly about this!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

were you the person on liveline last week?

• Advertisement

Mimbo wrote: »
    "Staircase Sundays" is a step in the right direction but its not enough!
    I just love the puns :D

Nah Fryup, it wasn't me on talking to Joe. I didn't hear it either, what did they say? Any replies from the Titanic Belfast exhibit?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

some woman phoned up with the same complaints as you..no access to staircase

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/liveline/12-04-2012.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

How much would a taxi roughly cost from Great Victoria Street out to new Titanic museum place?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭magooly

How much would a taxi roughly cost from Great Victoria Street out to new Titanic museum place?
    £3

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭acermaple

Hoping to go to see the Titanic exhibition next week with the kids. I will be driving from Dublin, is it reasonably easy to find and is parking always available on site?

Advertisement