Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What language/programs do computer game designers use?

Options
  • 15-03-2012 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I will be graduating from a Design Engineering degree next September. I just have one exam then that I'm already confident about and nothing until then. A lot of time to myself apart from my job which is only around 30 hrs a week so I want to bump up my knowledge of certain coding practices in this time. I feel I'd like to apply to some video game designers. In college, we did C++ which moved onto VB which is what I was best at, probably best in the class too but the problem with engineering is there wasn't too much focus on it, just a module or two then onto something else. I've kept messing about with it myself but I hear it's a dying language. So what program is used the most in the industry? I hear Python is the way to go?

I also am quite versed in 3d modelling (Solidworks, Solid Edge, ProEngineer, Rhino). Are these relevant? We have Cinema4d on the computers as well. Should I start looking into that? Basically I want to build up some knowledge of what is relevant before I apply for these jobs. The reason I want in this industry is I feel I was quite naturally able in these fields as well as physics and mechanics (equations of motion, etc) and I want to continue with these traits.

The websites I've looked at (Havok for example) say that degree's or experience in the field is not necessarily required but is this just a smoke screen and in reality I haven't a hope if I don't have the official qualifications?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

If you've got a solid maths knowledge and can use 3D modelling packages you're off to a good start.

Maya and 3DS Max as well as in-house modelling tools would be the most common.

C++ is the dominant language with stuff like Java, C# and Python being very much in the minority and more common with small professional or amateur developers.

You would need pretty strong C++ and maths skills to survive in the gaming industry and it's true that you don't need a relevant degree or experience, but a demos or finished games would be required instead.

Note: I don't work in the game industry, I develop financial software and write games as a hobby but I know quite a few game developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Go and learn OpenGL or DirectX is what I would recommend. A hot topic right now is HTML5, you can use WebGL with this, which is basically the same as OpenGL ES (the mobile version). Develop a small demo with this and you will get hired instantly I reckon.

Wages for game developers suck by the way, I would only do it for my own company these days. With the same skillset you can go and work for a bank earning a hell of a lot more, as myself and the bloke above seem to have done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Ogre is a library you should check out if you wanna do 3d. A good site to check out is tigsource. Lotts of indie developers there using every language and library under the sun to make games

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Here at Radical we use C++ for engine & tools, Python for pipeline code, and Lua for gameplay scripting. I don't know of any studios that use VB for anything unfortunately. If you're looking for a job in Havok, you'll need very strong C++ skills. There are a handful of mobile game studios in Ireland, but I'm not sure what language they use as I don't do any mobile development. I'd guess mostly Java and/or C#.

The 3D modelling tools mainly used in the industry are Maya, 3ds Max & Mudbox. But unless you're writing plugins or scripts for these, having anything beyond the most basic knowledge isn't going to help you get a programming job, so don't spend too much time learning more about these.

It depends on the programming role you're interested in (tools, engine, graphics, gameplay, etc.), but if you're into maths/physics and serious about getting into the games industry, I'd suggest learning more C++. Read up on everything you can get your hands on and put together some demos that you can use to show off what you know and what you can do. Just remember to start simple and build from there.

Game developer salaries don't suck by the way. And even if financial programming did pay better, there's no way in hell I'd take a bit of a higher salary to work on trading/banking/insurance/whatever software instead of making games. I love my job and look forward to it every day - I wonder if many programmers working in finance can say the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Thanks everyone for your advice, I've used C++ in the past but forget it all. This happened with VB though and I felt it was just like riding a bike so I'll pick it up again. I want to start applying in August-September, do you think I should send an email to prospective employers outlining what I'm hoping to do for the next 6 months and ask them is the path I'm taking right for their workplace? Just maybe to show my commitment and maybe get more tips from them? The more I think about it the more I think that not only would I enjoy it but more importantly I'd be good at it, a lovely combination:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

I wouldn't get in touch with them until you're ready to actually apply. The bigger the studio, the less likely it is that you'll get a response from them, so you should be sure whatever you do mail them about is worth their while. And to be honest, HR isn't going to care what you're planning to do for the next 6 months - they're only going to care if you're a good candidate for one of their open positions. That's only true for big studios though - if you're going for an internship or a place in a small studio, they might be more willing to give you some advice or feedback.

Having said that, it mightn't hurt to try. As long as you don't pester, the worst that can happen is that you get ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,411 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The getting in touch and asking advice might work with the techies, rather than HR folks. Also regards avoiding pestering, that doesn't mean give up easily. I didn't, which worked to my advantage a few years back - the company was in a hiring freeze, but I emailed, faxed and posted my CV to them, as well as filling out their website application form. I also asked all of my friends to ask all of their friends if they knew someone working there and asked them about jobs. I eventually got a couple of interviews and was offered both jobs. Trick is to be polite and persistent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Just an update on this. thanks to everyone for your advice. I wrote a letter outlining what I could offer and what I was planning but didn't send it to any game developers. Sent it instead to a few different but similar industries. I now start an internship next week in a job that will train me further in 3D modelling with coding involved within the manufacturing industry. Only 20hrs a week but a foot in the door and experience on my CV. I have assigned the rest of my time to studying by myself. I have these books at my disposal which from other advice I've gotten should send me on the right path also taking your advice and will be aiming to produce some sort of a demo in this time.

• C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata (A decent refresher course to rejuvenate my C++ skills)
    • Problem Solving with C++ by Walter Savitch (Same as above but a bit more advanced)
    • Game Coding Complete by Mike McShaffry (A complete outline of most neccessary topics)
    • Beginning Game Programming by J Harbour (With an emphasis on C++)

I still aim to apply for developer positions come September so any progress and I'll let you know. Thanks again for your advice and any more if you have any would be appreciative.

Advertisement