Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting my cat neutered

Options
  • 15-03-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi Just looking for some advice - I have a young cat and she needs to be neutered. Like everyone I'm watching the pennies and wonder can anyone advise of a low cost option or give me some idea as to how much it will cost to get the cat neutered. I have called one vet who quoted €80 and I am based in the Drogheda area. Is this the going rate or does the price vary much ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Moonmad

You could try your local SPCA and see if they offer a voucher scheme, where they contribute towards the cost of neutering your cat.

Hi Just looking for some advice - I have a young cat and she needs to be neutered. Like everyone I'm watching the pennies and wonder can anyone advise of a low cost option or give me some idea as to how much it will cost to get the cat neutered. I have called one vet who quoted €80 and I am based in the Drogheda area. Is this the going rate or does the price vary much ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Is this the going rate or does the price vary much ??

Sounds about right for a female cat. Most vets will accept payments in installments. You could pay him back over a few months if its too much straightaway. Lots of people do it so dont feel anyway embarrassed asking,they're well used to it. Contact the Blue Cross they offer a low cost neutering scheme, its in Incichore though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I've found the price can vary by about 20 euro, so call all the vets in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I've two little girl kittys that have to be neutered next week. My vet charges €60 but there is another vet in the town where it costs €80 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

I'm pretty sure spcas and rescues only do a voucher scheme if you are on social welfare

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Was looking for answers on this too. My kitty is 8 months old and I think she has been in heat , she is meowling a lot. (Or could it be boredom ? as often she will stop crying if i pet or play/ give her lots of attention).
    I have a neutered male older cat, and he seems to like sniffing at her more these days (yuk! sorry!)
    I guess I should just bite the bullet and ring my Vets, the allowed me pay off a large bill in installments a few years ago. 80e is a lot of money though, I have put it off until now as she is strictly an indoors cat but accidents can happen, and I wouldn't fancy rehoming kittens- i'd want to keep them all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Zef if it was me i wouldnt hesitate to spay her. Female cats are incredibly annoying when in heat, yowling and yowling and YOWLING!!! They are super persistant and you will have to be unbelievably vigilant to stop her escaping. I had first hand experience of the mission female cats are on when in heat...unstoppable, even my male nuetered cat fake mounted her in an attempt to shut her up :o He'd mount her,she'd stop yowling...2mins later she'd look at him as if to say "ehhhh what was that about mister?" and resume yowling. 2 weeks of that i was fit to kill her :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

OMgoodness, that sounds annoying all right!!! Mine's not quite that bad yet, a few yowls every day. I am only guessing she is 8 months, i have her since she was teenchy, she was taken from her mum far to young and she has a few minor behaviour issues because of this. My older cat was born here and i hated rehoming his 3 littermates.

I am terrified of her escaping because she does not have a clue. My sons reckon 'I am cruel not to let her out'. There are problem dogs on our estate, and our road is just a strip of land with a moterway on one side, a busy road on the other that i have found too many dead cats.
    I'm organising it for next week, thanks.

Advertisement