Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dursey Island farmers criticise devastating cable car decision to prohibit livestock.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Typical, councils doing it arseways again. Close it down, then lets go and look for a solution, no chance they would do it the other way around.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Everytime I see it on TV, I think people must be mad to travel on it as it looks no better than a garden shed. I wonder who insures it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Everytime I see it on TV, I think people must be mad to travel on it as it looks no better than a garden shed. I wonder who insures it.
    More importantly who maintains it.

At least if a train or bus breaks down there is a good chance you can walk away from it, with this thing could be left dangling 30 or 40 feet above the ocean. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Do they accept the free travel pass:D:D

Think I would have to go on a diet for a while before I'd trust it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's like something you'd have seen on Fr. Ted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

I wonder how its MTBF stacks up against some of the more "modern" transport gear in Ireland though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

CIE are probably glad that they don't have anything got to do with it.

Why can't the farmers on the Island pitch in and purchase it from the council, I couldn't imagine the contraption being worth more than a couple of hundred euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,266 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I had thought that they were simply restricting live stock transfer, not banning them.

I understand it is free, so no need for travel passes.
    Why can't the farmers on the Island pitch in and purchase it from the council, I couldn't imagine the contraption being worth more than a couple of hundred euros.
    Imagine how much it would cost to replace.

Trivia: It comes under the supervision of the RSC / RAIU.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

more busybody beaurocracy from the council just for the sake of it...

Is the floor solid? What happens when a cow being transported gets a bit nervous?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

more busybody beaurocracy from the council just for the sake of it...

Is the floor solid? What happens when a cow being transported gets a bit nervous?

And therein lies the problem as far as the authorities are concerned - they take the sh1t if something goes wrong but when they try to regulate the use of the cable car under health & safety, it's the heavy hand of bureauracy.

Heads you win, tails they lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

coylemj wrote: »
    And therein lies the problem as far as the authorities are concerned - they take the sh1t if something goes wrong but when they try to regulate the use of the cable car under health & safety, it's the heavy hand of bureauracy.

Heads you win, tails they lose.

43 years of continous safe operation is a pretty good indicator though that current practice is justified in continuing. Why they sudden need to ban animals?

the nervous cow comment was more to do with them taking a dump rather than getting uppity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

43 years of continous safe operation is a pretty good indicator though that current practice is justified in continuing though. Why they sudden need to ban animals?

the nervous cow comment was more to do with them taking a dump rather than getting uppity...
    It is also a massive tourist attraction! You can bet the tourists in the video above were not expecting 11 lambs to come strolling out of the cable car, imagine the stories they have been telling on their return home!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

43 years of continous safe operation is a pretty good indicator though that current practice is justified in continuing. Why they sudden need to ban animals?

Just viewed the video - hilarious. If I was the local Health & Safety guy I'd allow animals and ban the people - :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

I was out on Dursey over the weekend. Beautiful Spot!!!! So, so peaceful, with only 4 permanent residents, apparently. Well worth the effort getting there, but be warned, THERE IS NO SHOP, NO CAFE, NO HOSTEL, NO TOILET!!!! Just you and the Atlantic Air. So bring a picnic.

The cable car alone is worth the journey. It generally runs between 9-10am, 1-2pm and 7-8pm, with an extra 4-5pm session on summer weekends. BUT IT STOPS WHEN ALL WAITING PASSENGERS HAVE BEEN CARRIED!!!! So turn up at least 15 minutes before the beginning of the hour to ensure transport. If you turn up towards the end the operator (an interesting character!) may have shut it down as all waiting passengers will have been accommodated. Pay close attention to the bottle of holy water and also the copy of psalm 91 which can be read to 'protect you from danger'!

There are no cattle on the island now, only sheep, and these are transported by boat.

Advertisement