Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stupid people tax?

• 15-03-2012 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Does it not strike anyone as odd that more of an effort isn't made to fine stupid people like dangerous road users to raise much needed money for government coffers instead of landing everyone with a nonsense household tax?

Seeing as how it's already something the government is paying for as it stands ie Garda wages, and seeing as how during a 20 minute commute from O'Connell St to Camden St this morning I saw no less than 5 separate traffic violations (fcuking dumbass cyclists) wouldn't it make more sense, and money, to tax these gobsh1tes insead of levying controversial charges at every householder?

I see this around the same areas every single day, O'Connell Bridge, College Green and at the Bleeding Horse pub in the mornings and going home in the evenings in Glasnevin and Finglas.......cyclists on the footpaths, running red lights, cars driving in the bus lane, speeding etc

It's the same areas every single time, surely it's worth sticking a couple of coppers out at these hotspots every day, and others, handing out fines? At even 50 euro a pop, those 5 idiots I saw this morning equate to 2 1/2 people paying the household tax and it's a helluva lot fairer too.

What say you, learned Boardsies? Any other stupid people taxes we could implement?

(In b4 stupid thread tax..........)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Everyone does stupid things. Are you actually proposing that we tax every error a person makes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Stupid drunk text tax?

(I'd owe a fortune!) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    Does it not strike anyone as odd that more of an effort isn't made to fine stupid people like dangerous road users to raise much needed money for government coffers instead of landing everyone with a nonsense household tax?

Seeing as how it's already something the government is paying for as it stands ie Garda wages, and seeing as how during a 20 minute commute from O'Connell St to Camden St this morning I saw no less than 5 separate traffic violations (fcuking dumbass cyclists) wouldn't it make more sense, and money, to tax these gobsh1tes insead of levying controversial charges at every householder?

I see this around the same areas every single day, O'Connell Bridge, College Green and at the Bleeding Horse pub in the mornings and going home in the evenings in Glasnevin and Finglas.......cyclists on the footpaths, running red lights, cars driving in the bus lane, speeding etc

It's the same areas every single time, surely it's worth sticking a couple of coppers out at these hotspots every day, and others, handing out fines? At even 50 euro a pop, those 5 idiots I saw this morning equate to 2 1/2 people paying the household tax and it's a helluva lot fairer too.

What say you, learned Boardsies? Any other stupid people taxes we could implement?

(In b4 stupid thread tax..........)
    Some ham is going to pipe in with the lotto any minute now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Does not being able to differentiate between a fine and a tax qualify for this stupid tax??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

In theory it makes sense, in reality its not. The amount of money which would be wasted on paper work, court cases, free legal aid for the idiots etc etc would mean it ends up costing more money than it brings in.

Back to the drawing board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Don't we have a stupidity tax, the Lotto? or is that desperation tax.... (I'm the Ham!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Should tax the person that invented cycle paths. More dangerous than good.

I cycle to work.

Great idea though, boards should start a tax for starting stupid threads in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

AeoNGriM wrote: »

We could call this one a 'Speeding Fine' - Great idea and you're right, someone should have thought of stuff like this already.

I wish you were in charge of this Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

Confab wrote: »
    Everyone does stupid things. Are you actually proposing that we tax every error a person makes?

No, of course not, that would bankrupt every single politician :D

The stupid people tax thing is more of an amusing take on the point I was making than anything else.

We could call this one a 'Speeding Fine' - Great idea and you're right, someone should have thought of stuff like this already.

I wish you were in charge of this Country.

You quoted me, highlighted the point I was trying to convey and STILL managed to fail to grasp it.

The Revenue Service will be in touch with you shortly.
    CJC999 wrote: »
    In theory it makes sense, in reality its not. The amount of money which would be wasted on paper work, court cases, free legal aid for the idiots etc etc would mean it ends up costing more money than it brings in.

Back to the drawing board.

Spot fines, no appeals process, or alternatively make the penalty for an unsuccessful appeal astronomical to dissuade chancers.
    cambo2008 wrote: »
    Does not being able to differentiate between a fine and a tax qualify for this stupid tax??

No, but failing to undestand the simple concept of replacing the income from one with the other definitely does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I think that we should try to get some momentum behind trying to introduce an apathy tax..

... ah fuggeddit - probly wont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

"I'm Homer and I pay the Homer tax."
    "That's the Home Owner tax."
    "D'oh!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Before you know it, stupid people stop being stupid (not likely but you never know) and where does the cash then come from?
    People live in homes and will continue to do so. It is a tax that will be easy to predict how much it will be for the government to waste away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

This is a great idea OP.

I will immediately start to gather a list of names of stupid Boardsies we should start to levy.

inforfun wrote: »
    Before you know it, stupid people stop being stupid (not likely but you never know) and where does the cash then come from?
    People live in homes and will continue to do so. It is a tax that will be easy to predict how much it will be for the government to waste away.

True enough, just seems to be a massive waste of time introducing traffic laws that for the most part aren't enforced properly or effectively, even though most of us here could name a few problem traffic areas where the Gardai could make a small fortune in penalties if they but showed up there on a daily basis.

They make a show of enforcing them at holiday times ie Christmas, Paddy's day etc but apart from that I very rarely see the cops monitoring traffic (although I am aware they do so)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

There is a simple solution that doesnt involve taxing people.

Let motorists knock down cyclists. I find that one of the best cures for stupidity and ignorance is the risk of life threatening injuries. If you are prepared to risk your life for your stupidity then youre fair game.

In addition bonus point should be awarded for knocking down x number of cyclists

Advertisement