Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One year retreats

Options
  • 15-03-2012 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has ever done a one year retreat, or something similar?

I'm just wondering where it might be possible to do one, how much it would cost, etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Imagine it... a fantastic opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

[-0-] wrote: »
    Imagine it... a fantastic opportunity.

Hopefully I won't have to imagine it, hopefully I can do it for "real" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Hi Roosh, leaving all that RT stuff aside, just curious, as to where abouts on the buddhism path you reckon you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

About 3.50

wylo wrote: »
    Hi Roosh, leaving all that RT stuff aside, just curious, as to where abouts on the buddhism path you reckon you are?
    Hey wylo.

It's a good question, but one I don't think there's a straight forward answer to. "In Buddhism" there isn't a defined path against which you can mark your progress, so I couldn't really say where I am on the path.

I think I've mentioned before, about a saying I've read, "don't mistake understanding for realisation, don't mistake realisation for liberation".

I think that is a useful distinction to make, that there is understanding, realisation and liberation. I think there are certain aspects of Buddhist teachings which I understand, there are certain aspects which I have realised - a very limited number but I wouldn't say that I have been totally liberated from any aspect of "the ego", although meditation practice has helped to reduce the attachment to certain aspects of it.

I have allowed my practice to slip in the past month or so, and I see a noticeable difference in my level of mindfulness, which means that the sub-conscious attachment to "self" is growing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭gnu

HI Roosh,

I've never done one but it's something I'd love to do. I'm sure you've said before, but could you remind me if you're practising within a certain tradition - is there a particular kind of retreat you're intererested in? And are you willing to travel or would it need to be closer to home? The main kind I know about (and that knowledge is sketchy at best!) are Theravadan. The price can range from thousands for staying in a Western style retreat centre like Gaia House to a donation if you stay in a monastery; there are some in the UK (Amaravati is one - it's lovely) and tentative plans to have one here . If they can't offer a year long, I'm sure they could suggest somewhere that could. Would you consider Thailand, Burma or other Buddhist countries? Several of the teachers I follow have done long retreats in monasteries there.

There are a couple of places in Ireland - can't think of the details right now but will come back to you if I remember. I'm not sure if they could facilitate a year long.

I remember reading of Kagyu (Tibetan) long retreats held on Holy Isle in Scotland; I think they were quite expensive (thousands).
    http://holyisle.org/index/buddhism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Rigpa
    done a 3 year retreat it ended over a year ago. they also done a Home Retreat where people who couldnt make it to French could do it from home. and life their normal lifes.

http://www.rigpa.ie/lang-en/projects/temple-dzb.html

Their building Irish First Ever Buddhist Temple down in Dzogchen Beara in Co.Cork Beara Peninsula

No doubt that once this Temple is Finished they will more or less have a Retreat going.

http://www.rigpa.ie

You can find your Nears Center if you like more info..

That Holy land in Scotland,, doesnt seem like a nice place,

If you become a member of Rigpa they would Support you within your Retreat and maybe funds if you cant afford it.

Rigpa are very good that way any money it makes its going to the Centers and for funds for people that cant afford teachings etc..

Cork24 wrote: »
    Rigpa
    done a 3 year retreat it ended over a year ago. they also done a Home Retreat where people who couldnt make it to French could do it from home. and life their normal lifes.

http://www.rigpa.ie/lang-en/projects/temple-dzb.html

Their building Irish First Ever Buddhist Temple down in Dzogchen Beara in Co.Cork Beara Peninsula

No doubt that once this Temple is Finished they will more or less have a Retreat going.

http://www.rigpa.ie

You can find your Nears Center if you like more info..

That Holy land in Scotland,, doesnt seem like a nice place,

If you become a member of Rigpa they would Support you within your Retreat and maybe funds if you cant afford it.

Rigpa are very good that way any money it makes its going to the Centers and for funds for people that cant afford teachings etc..

Cheers Cork24, I used to be a volunteer down in DzB. I was thinking of asking the guys there about the possibility of doing a year long retreat in Lerab Ling, but I was hoping to see what other options might be available. I know DzB caters for personal retreats, but I think the facilities might be a bit limited for a year long retreat.

I'm living in Korea at the moment and if there was the possibility to do one in SE Asia, that would be the ideal scenario.

gnu wrote: »
    HI Roosh,

I've never done one but it's something I'd love to do. I'm sure you've said before, but could you remind me if you're practising within a certain tradition - is there a particular kind of retreat you're intererested in? And are you willing to travel or would it need to be closer to home? The main kind I know about (and that knowledge is sketchy at best!) are Theravadan. The price can range from thousands for staying in a Western style retreat centre like Gaia House to a donation if you stay in a monastery; there are some in the UK (Amaravati is one - it's lovely) and tentative plans to have one here . If they can't offer a year long, I'm sure they could suggest somewhere that could. Would you consider Thailand, Burma or other Buddhist countries? Several of the teachers I follow have done long retreats in monasteries there.

There are a couple of places in Ireland - can't think of the details right now but will come back to you if I remember. I'm not sure if they could facilitate a year long.

I remember reading of Kagyu (Tibetan) long retreats held on Holy Isle in Scotland; I think they were quite expensive (thousands).
    http://holyisle.org/index/buddhism

Thanks gnu.

I'm in Korea at the moment, so Thailand, Burma or somewhere like that would actually be preferable. That was kind of what I had in mind, that it would be possible to do one in a monastery, I just don't really know how to go about it.

I was thinking that if anyone here had info. it could help to give a bit of direction in the search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Cork24 wrote: »
    That Holy land in Scotland,, doesnt seem like a nice place, ..

You're the second person in two days who has the same impression. My friend was over for a retreat over the Easter period and was very unimpressed, so much so she is going to write a letter of complaint. So I wouldn't be heading there in a hurry.

Advertisement