Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulated Slabs, Mushrooms and Cavity Blocks

Options
  • 15-03-2012 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi im buying a house (no keys yet) and want to put up some insulated slabs and was thinking of securing them with mushroom fixtures.

The engineers report says the house is about 60 years old so i was wondering could the house be made with cavity blocks instead of a cavity wall.

My question is has anybody screwed 50 mm insulated slab to cavity block wall - is there enough thickness in the cavity block for the mushroom to secure the slab.

I would prefer not to start messing with the dot and dab method because id be unsure how to do it properly.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

You might get interstitial condensation there. But you'd have no problem doing thre job with 90mm plastic mushrooms. Don't use the metal ones as you'll get condensation on the plastered side of the head (if they are cavities). If I was doing it I would drill timber furrings on at 24"centres and then screw the boards on. This way, you can also drop cables etc behind for new power points.

Advertisement