Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Questions Related to Probability

Options
  • 15-03-2012 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I hope its okay to ask this here. I'm trying to do out at least 6 different probability projects for transition years students and I'm ready to pull out my hair, because it seems impossible to find resources or information related to the topics I want to base projects on.

So random questions....
    Anyone have a good online simulator for the plinko game that is best known off the american game show the price is right?
    Does anyone know how many segments of each value are on the winning streak wheel??
    Does the monty hall problem apply to deal or no deal??

Any suggestions you might have for further projects would also be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

What are the chances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

That's what I'm trying to determine, can't figure out the probability of winning winning streak if I dont know how many segments of each value are in the wheel.... Tried googling it but no luck... as far as i remember theres only one quartr of a million...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

How does one win winning streak exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Don't they change the number of segments for each value each week? In other words, I think they add in more high value segments if the quarter of a million isn't won, like a roll-over jackpot I guess. Open to correction on this though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Can you not just make it all up? Does it really have to be identical to the real thing?
    TheBody wrote: »
    Don't they change the number of segments for each value each week? In other words, I think they add in more high value segments if the quarter of a million isn't won, like a roll-over jackpot I guess. Open to correction on this though.

Yeah I think they do. I think there's a few €250,000 ones and at least one €500,000.

And now to firefight the rumours that I actually watch Winning Streak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

lestat21 wrote: »
    ...Does the monty hall problem apply to deal or no deal??...

No.

DOND: When a player picks a box, that box is opened.
    MH: Whan a player picks a door, host opens a different door.

DOND: All boxes are different, graduated from worthless to great worth.
    MH: All doors except one identically worthless. Only one door has a wrthwhile prize.

DOND: Banker offers a varying sum to leave the game.
    MH: Host offers the choice to switch without seeing what was behind the door originally chosen.

There may be mathematical strategies to help the decision of whether to accept the banker's offer, I don't know, but I don't think comparing it to Monty Halls is one of them.

Advertisement