Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange rate

Options
  • 14-03-2012 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

There might be loads of these threads already sorry if there is.

I'm going to america with 5 friends soon and i'm looking up exchange rates. Everyone says An Post have no commission but their rate is 1.265 in comparison to AIBs 1.286.

Now here is where I need someone with a brain. Aib say on their website "Commission is charged at 1% of the euro value of the foreign currency note order value (minimum EUR1. 27, maximum EUR6.35)"
    So would I be right in thinking...
    If I change €1000 euro I'd get $1265 in AnPost
    and i'd get $1286 -€6.35 in AIB?
    AIB still have a better rate even with commission? I'm confused!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AIB still have a better rate even with commission? I'm confused!

No surprise there! The 'no commission' banner is designed to fool you into thinking that the rate is bound to be better whereas as you've discovered, someone else is better even with commission.

On those numbers go with AIB but check on the day, there is a AIB iPhone app that you can use with today's rates.

The Euro is curerently very low (1.3040) against the dollar, I'm inclined to think it can't go much lower in the short term and remember that you'll get a better exchange rate on credit card transactions so only bring cash for taxis and incidentials, use the CC anywhere you can in place of cash but not to withdraw cash from ATMs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 denisosulli

Thanks for the reply. It just goes to show you should do the math and not just believe what they tell you

Advertisement