Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen extractor ducting - help needed

Options
  • 14-03-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi,

am trying to sort a long overdue project today. Had a big and nasty and old kitchen extractor which stopped working and its external vent fell off wall. When getting electrician to put in a new cooker good while back I asked him to install a new extractor I had bought also - unfortunately he just attached to wall and added a plug. The extractor covers a lot but not all of a hold where prvious model had been and there is a hole on outside wall which is partially blocked by old vent loosely supported. So basically have had a bit of a wind (and recently) rain tunnel into the kitchen.

Anyway I have 4" ducting kit but slightly unsure how it attachs - fits over vent end handy but does it go inside or over extractor outlet - have one jubilee clip for it - guessing for extractor end? pic below. Going over outlet looks like it might have to be stretched a good bit. Am also looking to reduce the size of holes in walls inside and out to minimum. Have put a tub of ready mixed filler on inside wall but it could prob be reduced more. For outside I have a box of external filler but am now thinking expanding foam may be better?

I would hope to get the cavity between walls filled - other than with debris, stray filler.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

You should prob have a reducer for the extractor to the pipe if the flexy pipe fits over extractor good use duck tape to seal it and the same on the cover and your sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Be careful using duck tape too, I did and heard a flapping noise a few days later. Took the cover off again and ither the heat or the moisture had caused the tape to start peeling back.

Used silicone to seat it completely and it hasn't budged since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭meercat

i would advise you to refit the extractor fan
    then,working from outside,insert a piece of soil pipe that butts tight to extractor fan connection(it should slot over the outlet pipe)
    cut flush to outside wall
    plaster outside wall(sand cement mix)
    when plaster hardens then insert louvered back flap vent
    you then run a bead of mastic around the back flap

Advertisement