Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA - Already completed a Diploma (Self Funded)

Options
  • 14-03-2012 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I recently lost my job as a Civil Engineer and im looking to move away from that area into the IT sector.

Im currently receiving social welfare payments.

My first choice is to complete a Masters in UCD.

However, there are a few diplomas out there that lead onto a masters (If good results are achieved) and the "back to education allowance (BTEA)" allows certain candidates to maintain the equivalent of the social welfare payments whilst attending approved full time diploma courses.

My problem is:

I have already completed a diploma (Civil Engineering related) which i funded myself whilst working. I have been reading online that the BTEA does not apply if a candidate already has a diploma.

I'm assuming that they mean that a candidate cant receive BTEA over two diploma courses?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

(Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't think you'll be eligible. You have to be progressing to be eligible. Also you don't get BTEA for masters.

1.10 Progression in education course
    The approved full-time education course must
    lead to a higher qualification on the National
    Framework of Qualifications other than that
    already held. It is not considered that existing
    graduates should have an entitlement to BTEA
    to pursue a course at a similar qualification level
    as, inter alia, this can lead to displacement of
    persons seeking such qualifications for the first
    time. Reference should be made to the National
    Framework of Qualifications (see appendix 3 )
    e.g. If a person holds a Fetac level 5
    qualification, they must be progressing to a
    level 6 qualification.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

My point is that im moving away from a sector of work that is redundant and will be so for quiet a time (Civil Engineering) and im trying to move across to a sector that offers a far better chance of a job should i obtain a masters (By doing a one year diploma follwed by a one year masters).

I would have thought they do not want people doing diploma followed by diploma and maintaining their benefits each week.

Guess ill go meet them and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nedved85 wrote: »
    My point is that im moving away from a sector of work that is redundant and will be so for quiet a time (Civil Engineering) and im trying to move across to a sector that offers a far better chance of a job should i obtain a masters (By doing a one year diploma follwed by a one year masters).

I would have thought they do not want people doing diploma followed by diploma and maintaining their benefits each week.

Guess ill go meet them and see what they say.

I get your point - I just don't see the Social Welfare giving you BTEA because of their stated rules

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I get your point - I just don't see the Social Welfare giving you BTEA because of their stated rules

Your probably right - but sure ill see what happens,

Thanks

Advertisement