Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facial swelling

Options
  • 14-03-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭

My husband had most of his upper teeth removed this morning and had an immediate denture fitted - one of his front incisors had a hard time coming out and the dentist had to pull quite forcefully. Pain relief is ok at the moment, but I am worried that one side of his face(the pull hard side)is really quite swollen.Am I right in thinking this is normal due to trauma of tooth extraction?

He looks dreadful :eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

If, besides the swelling/?bruising, he's otherwise feeling ok (no fever, pain being managed with over the counter painkillers, no dizziness/feeling unwell ect), see how things look in the morning, you could attend the dentist for a review if there's still a concern. Generally incisors heal quite well& extractions are uneventful, as they only have a single root- your husband may just have had strong bone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Ah great, thank you so much for the quick reply:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

dragona wrote: »
    My husband had most of his upper teeth removed this morning and had an immediate denture fitted - one of his front incisors had a hard time coming out and the dentist had to pull quite forcefully. Pain relief is ok at the moment, but I am worried that one side of his face(the pull hard side)is really quite swollen.Am I right in thinking this is normal due to trauma of tooth extraction?

He looks dreadful :eek:

This would be quite an early onset of infection, so most likely this is post operative swelling.
    Use an ice pack wrapped in a towel (or a bag of frozen peas) for tonight.

Reassess things in the morning. The best person to assess would be your dentist as he/she really knows what treatment has been done...

Good luck,
    OS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭dragona

Thanks - he went to dentist this morning and has been given a course of antibiotics and anti inflammatory pain killers. Swelling is very severe this morning but hopefully the medications will do the trick.

Advertisement