Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon Ballot Tickets

Options
  • 13-03-2012 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Was anyone successful in the 2012 ballot? Applied in November and thought I would have heard by now! Has anyone gotten tickets in the ballot before? When are you usually notified?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Tickets from the ballot are sent out to winners right up until the week before Wimbledon afaik. I'd reckon that the larger tickets, such as QFs, SFs and Fs, would be sent out by now but I'm just guessing.

I've applied three times to the ballot but haven't had any success!

You might get lucky though; people sent back their tickets if they can't make it or got too many.

IF you're interested in maybe going over for 1 or 2 days, Ticketmaster UK sell tickets for courts the day before play. Or join the queue....it's an experience! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Thanks roselily! I've queued three times, loved it! But was just hoping for an easier life this year :-)

Queuing is so much fun!

Still time to win tickets in the ballot so you might get an easier route! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

I applied last year for the first time and found out in early March that I got tickets. Applied again last November or December but haven't heard anything yet! I have seen on other tennis forums of people having heard they were successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ya Im the same I got tickets in 2011 but none this year.

Live around the corner so going to que.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mr Paul

I missed the deadline to apply for tickets so was thinking of queuing. What time do you need to start queuing at to have a good chance of getting a ticket. I was hoping on bringing my Mum so ideally I would prefer if she didn't have to queue too. Is there any way of holding a place in the queue for someone?

Also, what are the chances of getting a ticket through ticketmaster?

Thanks

Mr Paul wrote: »
    I missed the deadline to apply for tickets so was thinking of queuing. What time do you need to start queuing at to have a good chance of getting a ticket. I was hoping on bringing my Mum so ideally I would prefer if she didn't have to queue too. Is there any way of holding a place in the queue for someone?

Also, what are the chances of getting a ticket through ticketmaster?

Thanks

Depends on what kind of ticket you want. For ground passes, you can queue for them in the morning. I was in the queue for 8am and always managed to nab a ground pass.

But if you want tickets for Centre or Court 1-3, queuing overnight would be best. Last year I joined the queue at 6pm on the first Sunday and my queue card was in the 700s. I got a ticket for Court 2.

Your Mum will need a queue card as well. She will probably be able to slip out once she has the card (loads of people leave to get coffees and snacks in Southfields).

Ticketmaster has tickets for sale the day before play; think they go on sale around 6ish the evening before but I'm not sure.

Hope this helps!:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I'd love to go, but getting a ticket to a good match seems so annoyingly difficult!

Any idea how they're gonna handle tickets for the Olympics? Might be a more straightforward process.

Rob2D wrote: »
    I'd love to go, but getting a ticket to a good match seems so annoyingly difficult!

You can see loads of good matches on the smaller courts! Players like Zvonareva, Raonic, Tomic and Ivanovic are usually on the outside courts. Rewind back to 2010, people sitting in Court 18 waiting for Isner and Mahut to kick off...who knew that history would be made at that match!
    If you like tennis, definitely go!:)
    Rob2D wrote: »
    Any idea how they're gonna handle tickets for the Olympics? Might be a more straightforward process.

Umm, tickets are gone since last year. All court and ground passes are gone afaik. There might be some available closer to the time but tennis was one of the first games to sell out....unfortunately!:(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Damn it. Maybe I should just enter the ballot this year and pray.

Or maybe I'll just try for the tour finals.
    RosyLily wrote: »
    If you like tennis, definitely go!:)

The problem is I wouldn't watch any old match. I like to watch it as a learning aid or if I know I'm going to be entertained. And very few have a style that I like anymore. Tomic or Ana could be playing in my back yard and I wouldn't go out to watch them y'know.

I'm alive in the wrong era I'm afraid!

• Advertisement

Yeah, definitely enter the ballot! You never know your luck! I think it'll be open at the end of August for Wimbledon 2013.

Tour final tickets went on sale a few weeks ago. There should be some still available. It's has a really cool atmosphere...so different than Wimbledon or any other GS.

Well then if you don't like any old match, go to the museum and wander around the different eras.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 kdarcy9

What do you send in to apply? Is it just the self addressed envelope because I believe the Post Offices stopped issuing International Reply Coupons?

Thanks

Public Ballot is open for Wimbledon 2013.

To get an application form, send a SAE to AELTC, P.O. Box 98, London SW19 5AE by December 15. If there's no International Reply Coupons, just send in the stamped envelope.

All the info needed is here: http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/tickets/201205091336562669724.html

Brilliant,

Thanks for the info...I'll just have to send the stamp!

Cheers,

K

The stamped envelope is hardly with an Irish Stamp is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

Nope you need a uk stamp or an international reply coupon. But An Post apparently no longer do IRCs. Catch22 unless you know someone in the uk who could send you stamps

Can't remember exactly but I think I just asked in the post office about sending it to UK and they slapped a stamp on. Could have been nearly €1 for the stamp.

I sent it without the UK stamp or international reply coupon and they returned it to me. No need for them

kdarcy9 wrote: »
    I sent it without the UK stamp or international reply coupon and they returned it to me. No need for them

Same here. They do say that if you're unable to supply an international reply coupon you can just send it without. I just included a note to say it wasn't possible to get them in Ireland, and I got the form back within a week.

Last year I was in the UK a couple of weeks before the deadline and I posted the application from there with a UK stamp (thinking this would be the safe option). They ended up sending me a form for UK residents only, even though the envelope was addressed to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Just sent mine off this morning. I got tickets in 2011 but not this year. So I went to Eastbourne instead. Fingers crossed for 2013!

• Advertisement
Advertisement