Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cards - 25s / 45s

Options
  • 13-03-2012 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭

Hi

I know this is off-topic but I didn't know where else to put it!

Doing some research on traditional Irish card games how many people play either 25 or 45 - just wondering where these games are played?

From personal experience, I know 25 is played in:

Mayo
    Tipperary
    Westmeath
    Meath

45:
    Cork

31:
    Kerry

Are they played at all in London / US?

Any help on filling in the blanks would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I play 25 fairly regularly in Offaly. I prefer the game to poker.

Also to note we play a variation of 25 called Auction15.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I'm in Limerick and we play 45 around my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

iam in west waterford and it is a big 45 area and we never play 25, but i think 25 is the game of choice down around the city and east of the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭shangri la

Depends on the pub not the area if the customers start up any game of poker.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

Used play 25's all the time in Northampton about 25 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

i'm originally from Tipperary and used to play quite a bit before i headed for the big smoke, as far as i remember west tipp towards limerick was 45 country and south and north tipp was mostly 25 and still remains that way - used to go to a bigger game in doneraile in cork where the joker was played as a trump between the jack of trumps and ace of hearts and if the dealer turned it up they had to declare the trump suit before play

my parents still play a number of nights a week in progressive games in tipperary - seems to be 6 to 12 tables still going and quite strong although the age profile isnt getting any younger - personally i preferred 45 as it took more playing to 25 - small cash game rubbers seem to be thin on the ground except at xmas where the pubs run turkey/ham finals

used to be quite good at knowing when to play a trump, hit the high play, let low play off but i loved just looking at the other players giving tokens or physical signs and then calling them out on it - asking them who they were winking at, telling them to stop kicking me under the table

• Registered Users Posts: 24 supp

I've never heard of this game (aussie)

What's the deal ? (no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

supp wrote: »
    I've never heard of this game (aussie)

What's the deal ? (no pun intended)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoil_Five

also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spoil_Five

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

I have played 25 and 45 these are the 2 most common games in rural Ireland. If you can play one then you can easily switch to the other.

Both games are extremely skill full and good players can make the most tricks out of cards they get.

25 is played in Leitrim/Sligo/Roscommon, probably in most of Connaught.

45 is played in Cork/Kerry/Limerick and slight variations like 31 ad 41, where you get 11 rather than 10 for best trump. There is no extra score for best trump in 25. This is the only significant difference between 25 and 45, except of course for the winning scores is the same as the name.

The game can be played up to 10 players, above 5 players partners play together.

As the cards often only get a slight shuffle and are dealt in 2 batches really good players try and guess what you might have remaining in your hand based on what you play early in that hand.

In my experience use of signs is frowned upon, (maybe I'm naive to to the Knaves :cool:).

110 is a variation of 45 with a slightly increased gambling element where an extra hand is dealt in the middle of the table. Players bid to get this hand by stating the number of tricks they will get. The highest bidder gets the hand and calls the trump and combines hands to make one hand. Everyone else plays against this player to stop him reaching his bid. If he fails then he adds more money to the pot.

Auction 15 is the 25 variation to this game, I can't remember the exact rules of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭risteardb

Do anybody know anyplace you can play 45 in London?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Just to throw in another one....in Wexford, we play 30. :)

Advertisement