Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon sprint first time!

Options
  • 13-03-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Doing first sprint distance triathlon in Louisburgh! just wondering about the wetsuit....i have one but its like 6mm full length. would i be better off getting a hold of a 3mm short one or would it make any difference? ...any tips whilst changing from the cycle to the run part to avoid the jelly legs welcome too:P:P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Is it a swim specific wetsuit? I'm guessing it's a scuba one at 6mm?

A Tri wetsuit is usually designed so it is more flexible where needed so as not to impinge (too much) on the swimming stroke. It will also be cut differently for better mobility and will prevent too much water entering so you aren't carrying extra weight on the swim.

If you can get hold of a tri specif wetsuit instead I would, but for a 750m swim you will probably get away with it in the scuba suit. Make sure you lube up well around the neck to prevent wetsuit bite and be aware that the suit will slow you down and tire you out as you fight against it. I wouldn't bother with a "shortie" suit though.

There's no best way to prevent jelly legs but by doing BRICK (Bike to Run) sessions you will prepare yourself as to what to expect and know that it eventualy goes away.
    You could try putting the bike into a lower gear and spinning the cranks more coming in transition to get the blood flowing. Some people find that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 carolgus33

Thanks for that ! The wetsuit i use for surfing well I used to ha! ... I Think I'll try get a tri spec wetsuit as that one is so heavy& It will slow me down big time! Ice been doing brick sessions alright& find that my legs are less jelly:) will try slowing down the gear more & see how that goes! Cheers!

Advertisement