Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Dating

Options
  • 13-03-2012 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hi,

I wanted to let others who might be thinking of internet dating know about my experience with 'Irelands largest dating website'.

I would strongly advise anyone to stay away from anotherfriend.com. Read the terms & conditions very carefully if you do join, because it's bordering on scam. I had a premium membership and found the design of the website awful. I work in IT in the area of design and usability and the search and navigation functionality are like a website from the 1990's. They deliberately make it awkward to cancel membership and information about cancelling is hidden away on the website. No notification of membership expiry or renewal is given, they will just debit your credit card. If you dispute a renewal you didn't want they just point to their terms & conditions. I know someone else who was charged for a subscription after they thought they had shut down the account. But cancelling your membership is a different thing altogether, according to anotherfriend.com.
    They charged me for a further 6 months without warning (terms & conditions, you see) for a renewal I did not want. This crowd are being left way behind by newer dating apps and websites. They are also sneaky and underhand in how they do business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I joined them briefly a few years ago. Not a nice experience. Overpriced and expensive. After I left, I was receiving emails for ages trying to entice me back. Avoid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I dunno why anyone would pay a internet dating website when there is a free one online that is one of the biggest in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 papergangsta

Hi,

I am doing some research on experiences with internet dating sites in Ireland. So far I have of the same about what a great forum it is to meet new and interesting people.

I would love to speak to anybody who has had a particularly negative experience/ horror story from an online dating site.

Please get in contact if you can be of use, and the sooner the better. Thanks in advance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Hi,

I am doing some research on experiences with internet dating sites in Ireland. So far I have of the same about what a great forum it is to meet new and interesting people.

I would love to speak to anybody who has had a particularly negative experience/ horror story from an online dating site.

Please get in contact if you can be of use, and the sooner the better. Thanks in advance.

I've had a lot of experience with it and I'd be happy to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

I dunno why anyone would pay a internet dating website when there is a free one online that is one of the biggest in the world.

do you mean Facebook? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 papergangsta

lazlo wrote: »
    I've had a lot of experience with it and I'd be happy to talk about it.

Thanks for the interest.

I've emailed you to the hotmail address listed on your contact page here, I hope that's still active. If not let me know....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

papergansta What is the nature of your research?

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Maggie McGaggie

Wish i had seen this thread before i joined this scam of a site. Looked at my latest bank statement today and i'm down over seventy euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ARCD

Firstly, apologies for digging up an old thread but I don't wish to create a new one on the exact same topic.

I wish I had seen this thread before I signed up to this site, there is no doubt in my mind that this website is nothing but a scam. Like the OP says deactivating an account and cancelling a subscription are two completely different things to this site. It sickens me to see that this thread was originally created over two years ago!!! and yet they are still getting away with this completely unfair policy. I was unfairly charged for 2 months after deactivating my account and I have tried to engage with the company over this but they have tried every attempt to fob me off with excuses, they hide behind their terms and conditions and arrogantly claim they always act in "good faith". How they believe charging for a service which the member has deactivated is ever acting in "good faith" is beyond my comprehension. They even sent me a screenshot of their deactivation page, to show me that they have published a reminder of the requirement to cancel your subscription separately, I am not in any way exaggerating when I say I actually had to magnify the screen to read the reminder clearly.

I can only hope this deters others from signing up to this site, and this is my main reason for digging up this thread, otherwise this topic could easily be missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Advertising Standards Authority upholds complaint against Anotherfriend.com :D

http://www.asai.ie/complaint_view.asp?CID=1207&BID=61

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ladypup

DON'T subscribe to this website, because if you decide to deactivate your account they STILL take money from your bank account... they've been taking money out of mine, under a different name for the last 16 months even though I'm not member!!!!! COWBOYS!!!!!!!!
    Under their terms and conditions....
    (h) To cancel your subscription, you must send an email to anotherfriend.com requesting the cancellation at least 2 working days before your subscription is due. Deactivation of the account is not a sufficient reason for cancellation your Premium membership subscription.

They don't answer their phones either, cowards! And you can't post on their facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

ladypup wrote: »
    DON'T subscribe to this website, because if you decide to deactivate your account they STILL take money from your bank account... they've been taking money out of mine, under a different name for the last 16 months even though I'm not member!!!!! COWBOYS!!!!!!!!
    Under their terms and conditions....
    (h) To cancel your subscription, you must send an email to anotherfriend.com requesting the cancellation at least 2 working days before your subscription is due. Deactivation of the account is not a sufficient reason for cancellation your Premium membership subscription.

They don't answer their phones either, cowards! And you can't post on their facebook page.

Why did you not just do that?

I have been a member of this website on & off over the past few year, and always cancel my membership as per the terms & conditions. Have had some good experiences on it too - met some nice people

No connection other than a user

Birdsong wrote: »
    Why did you not just do that?

I have been a member of this website on & off over the past few year, and always cancel my membership as per the terms & conditions. Have had some good experiences on it too - met some nice people

No connection other than a user

Your experiences of the service are not relevant. It's about doing business in an open an honest fashion, without ambiguous cancellation/deactivation terms & conditions. Not to mention the deactivation page deliberately hidden and difficult to navigate to. You will have noticed this if you have, as you said, successfully cancelled a membership from the site. Subscribers are not given the option to decide if they want an automatic renewal of a subscription. And it's not made clear that cancellation and deactivation are different. Anotherfriend.com is a scam and I was delighted the advertising authority came to that conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Your experiences of the service are not relevant. It's about doing business in an open an honest fashion, without ambiguous cancellation/deactivation terms & conditions. Not to mention the deactivation page deliberately hidden and difficult to navigate to. You will have noticed this if you have, as you said, successfully cancelled a membership from the site. Subscribers are not given the option to decide if they want an automatic renewal of a subscription. And it's not made clear that cancellation and deactivation are different. Anotherfriend.com is a scam and I was delighted the advertising authority came to that conclusion.[/QUOTE

I beg to differ, my experience of a service is as relevent as anyone else. How dare you say otherwise. Just because it is different to yours, does not make it any less valid.

I read the T&Cs before using Anotherfriend, cancelled my subscribition 2 days before I had, putting a reminder in my phone & when I wanted to renew did so, when it suited me. If you don't read the T&Cs your on thin ice

Birdsong wrote: »
    Ludikrus wrote: »
    Your experiences of the service are not relevant. It's about doing business in an open an honest fashion, without ambiguous cancellation/deactivation terms & conditions. Not to mention the deactivation page deliberately hidden and difficult to navigate to. You will have noticed this if you have, as you said, successfully cancelled a membership from the site. Subscribers are not given the option to decide if they want an automatic renewal of a subscription. And it's not made clear that cancellation and deactivation are different. Anotherfriend.com is a scam and I was delighted the advertising authority came to that conclusion.[/QUOTE

I beg to differ, my experience of a service is as relevent as anyone else. How dare you say otherwise. Just because it is different to yours, does not make it any less valid.

I read the T&Cs before using Anotherfriend, cancelled my subscribition 2 days before I had, putting a reminder in my phone & when I wanted to renew did so, when it suited me. If you don't read the T&Cs your on thin ice

It's a thread in 'Rip off Ireland' about payment and you made an irrelevant point about meeting nice people through the site. Nothing to do with their charges. Well done on reading the t & c's. The advertising authority of ireland don't agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ladypup

I totally agree, anyone would assume that you you cancel your account that any subscription linked to it is cancelled too.
    They've robbed me of over €400, and as mentioned they don't answer their phones and hide behind template terms and conditions rhetoric. I am wondering if I took a case to the small claims court that I could have a case??????

Advertisement