Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyprexa/Seroquel XR experiences?

Options
  • 13-03-2012 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

For 7 years I was on a high dosage (15mg) of Zyprexa. In that time I found it be a very "heavy" drug in that it kept me subdued. I suppose the main reason why I stuck with it was it kept me out of hospital. Another one of its main side effects was that I put on a huge amount of weight, which didn't help.

So last October I switched over to Seroquel (700mg). Straight away I felt more alert and I thought I was onto a good thing. I hadn't worked in years but I found some voluntary work and I felt great with myself. Then a friend from hospital committed suicide and that hit me hard. My doctor told me I was doing too much and he reduced the Seroquel to 650mg.

I was doing well but then in Febuary I tried to take the next step to improve my life. It was a simple step. But I couldn't handle it. Everytime I tried to figure it out my thoughts got knotted in my mind. In the end Febuary was a disaster. I didn't sleep well at all for the whole month. One night I forgot to take my meds and I didn't sleep at all. Disaster - toke me the whole w/e to recover - I was really scared, I thought I would have to go back into hospital.

I had an appointment with my doctor recently and I tried my best to explain to him how I was feeling. Nightmare. Looking back I was agitated and had mixed moods. He told me that I was probably depressed and he reduced the Seroquel down to 600mg. He said Seroquel is a funny drug as it affects people in different ways - he also said if depressed and the dosage is too high it can make you more depressed.

I haven't been feeling great in the 2 weeks since. The first week I got really angry with my situation - my messed up life. When is it going to get better? Then I was speaking to my sister on the phone. Not once in 12 years has she asked me anything about my illness. I was on the phone to her for over an hour. I was close to breaking down a couple of times.

Since that phone call I am depressed and I don't know what to do? Do I ride it out and let the lower level of Seroquel kick in?

I have been having suicidal thoughts again. I know I won't go through with it - when I am down these thoughts seem to come up. In 6 months three people have committed suicide from the hospital I was in. Terrible, terrible outcome - so sad.

How do you find Seroquel? Have you used it longterm?

Should I go back to Zyprexa?

Sorry about the long post - I just wanted to give you as much info as possible.

Thanks.

NOTE: just re-reading the post, I am going to leave a message for my doctor to ring me tomorrow. But if you have any thoughts - thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

Wow 700mg thats a high dose, do you mind me asking what you are being treated for?

I am currently taking Serequel 200mg and that knocks me about, i was on Zypraxia but it didnt agree with me.

When i first started Serequel i had bad suicidal thoughts so they gave me diazepam to take along with it however i feel ****ty everyday just lately with the sereouel that i sometimes question if its working,

I also suffer Anxiety and am currently awaiting a CBT course for this, i must say the Serequel took some of the bad anxiety i had away but i just feel i am constantly worrying about my health and wonder if it is the tablets.

Do you have side affects from the Serequel?

I gained a stone since starting it in January and am having trouble shifting the weight.

I hope you dont end up in hospital again as you seem to have been doing well that was my biggest fear was going into hospital again so i haqde the nurses come into me for 4 weeks as i did have suicidal thoughts even though i would not carry it out , its just that when you are low you are really low.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

Soory meant to ask why did the doctor take you of Zypraxia?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Katy89

I took seroquel for many years but tbh in a very low dose, like 25 mg per night, it was more to make me sleep sound than much else.

It is a big disadvantage that it makes so sleepy. one is not able to do much, let alone work, when taking it in a high dose.
    Once in hospital during a crisis they raised the dose to 400-600mg and it was horrible. I've never heard voices but I think I started with that dose...I remember lying in my bed at night, I had a single room and the meds had kicked in and I heard a heavy metal band in the background:eek: don't think it was there in reality:o
    I know the body gets used to higher doses with time taking it, but the first hour or two taking the dose will always be bad..

I'm on a low dose abilify at the moment and have to say I'm positively surprised. No sleepiness at all, no other big side effects and I think my mood has changed to the good as well. I was very depressed and no motivation, that has improved.
    so you might speak to your doc and ask him about abilify.

ah, forgot, the first and maybe second day there were sideeffects like unpleasant sickness, but without throwing up though. but that is gone completely after the first 2 days. so if you feel bad the first days, try to endure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

conas- post deleted because of unnecessary scaremongering and the fact that you made recommendations about prescription meds that you are not qualified to make. please don't post in that manner here again.

Advertisement