Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Pub to visit this paddy's day

Options
  • 13-03-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I have few guests arriving from France and wondering where to bring them around Dublin City Centre for few. I wonder where local would go for their pint on paddy's day?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

This local will probably be in the Bull & Castle.

There's also a beer festival on down at the IFSC, Thursday to Monday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've not been in for St.Patrick's Day before so I'm assuming everywhere is going to be jammed, especially during the rugby. I'm planning to go to the Bull and Castle myself as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Town gets mental on Paddy's Day, pubs do be jammed, especially in Temple Bar. Mad queues just to get in some bars, even more so if they're putting on some diddley-i music.

B&C sounds good but doesn't it be jammers for the Rugby?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BaZmO* wrote: »
    B&C sounds good but doesn't it be jammers for the Rugby?
    No idea. The Ireland match is at 5 and I don't plan to be in the city centre much later than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Blackjack

pahadia wrote: »
    I have few guests arriving from France and wondering where to bring them around Dublin City Centre for few. I wonder where local would go for their pint on paddy's day?

If the Bull and castle doesnt work:

L Mulligan Grocer. Although your guests will probably want Guinness, so thats the wrong place for them. Great place to bring a few people for a meal and some good beers. Doesnt have tellies for the games though, but in fairness if you want to go for a chat with people you've not seen for ages, then you shouldn't need a Telly. Aside from that, if you want great beer, great food and great service a little bit off the Parade route, you won't go wrong.

Bank Bar on Dame street is decent, will probably show the Rugby if thats their thing. They have an increasing selection of Irish Craft beers (Draught Galway Hooker and Carrig Lager, Bottles of the Hara's and Hilden range) as well as the bog standard Diageonekens. The differentiator is the Food and Service there is exceptional, compared to the majority of other pubs in the centre of town, dare I say it. And it's in a pretty funky building.

The one thing I would ask however - please do ask them to try Irish Beer from one of the Craft Breweries, just at least so that there is more available than Guinness, and perhaps they could tell their friends or try it when they're back home...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I spent my time in Ryans. I had intended to go to Bull and Castle but I walked from Palmerstown to the Zoo, then wandered around the zoo and by the time I got to Ryans I decided it was good enough and had plenty of Hooker and O'Hara's IPA with a late lunch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

We tried the Bull and Castle at about half 3 and were told it was full and there was a 2 hour wait for food. Came back at about 6.45 and were told the same but that we could stick our name down for a table.

We did this and the waitress said we could head upstairs and wait, got up there and the place was busy but by no means full. There were plenty of seats available and next to no queue at the bar. Don't understand at all why they weren't letting more in. :confused:

Advertisement