Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden Dors changing colour when exposed to sunlight

Options
  • 13-03-2012 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of replacing the doors in my Mother's house (built in the 1970's). The existing doors are your typical laminated 'egg carton' crap. So I plan to install Oak Shaker doors, keeping the existing white frames and install new white skirting and architrave.

But my question relates to the doors changing colour when exposed to sunlight (not that there will be too much of that in Ireland). I found the following summary in a different website, which seems to suggest minimal changes.

Anyone got any experience of these doors?.

White Oak Very slight change in tones towards straw colour.
    Chestnut Changes to amber slowly.
    Pine Colour As the wood matures it becomes more yellow, with its grain turning slighly redder and the knots becoming darker.
    Red Oak Very little change.
    Maple Changes from cream white to golden cream.
    Ash A pale cream darkening to yellow / tan.
    Mahogany Darkens slowly towards a golden brown.
    Cherry Changes rapidly to deeper tones of red.
    Walnut One of the only woods that lightens in colour to a golden brown.
    Character & Pippi Oak Both woods behave the same, slowly changing towards straw brown, with the knots becoming slighly darker in tone.
    Pitch Pine Changes fairly rapidly towards red / yellow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Well it all depends also on the coatings thats applied to the doors (The finish)..

I'd say most of those doors will come pre-finished. Remember also its not always the sun that is a factor, its the heat of the house that will in time turn the varnish/lacquer darker...

Water based finishes are prone not to yellow as much(if at all) as oil based varnish.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

+1 for mad m. Check door sizes before you do anything. 70s house would have imperial measurements. Today all metric. You do not have a lot of play for shaving on door edges. Check out with supplier to see what kind of play you do have. Top and bottom of doors no problem if your not taking too much off. You will get a slight colour variation to slightly darken over a period, nothing much to worry about. Also check door frame size to see if door will fit ?. Doors now are 44mm
    NW

Advertisement