Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTEs lunchtime news is sinking....throw 'em a liveline!

Options
  • 13-03-2012 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Its all going horribly wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Who is she?

She is not great in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Who is she?

Roisín Duffy - been around a long time, usually does the serious news hour weekend lunchtimes. She's usually very good, but not having a good day today :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Roisín Duffy - been around a long time, usually does the serious news hour weekend lunchtimes. She's usually very good, but not having a good day today :D

or yesterday. embarrassing listening to her defending RTE Tweet affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭GSF

As the early retirees have left, it amazing the number of RTE staffers that have suddenly been drafted in to read the news. Begs the question as to what they were doing before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

It's amazing the number of RTE staff who have tried to defend the indefensible regarding tweetgate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ootbitb wrote: »
    or yesterday. embarrassing listening to her defending RTE Tweet affair.

was she the one that got very defensive and said "we" in relation to RTE instead of seperating herself and the institution from the issue ?

i only heard that clip as someone buggered up the business section on RTE.IE and linked that peice by accident to one on leo varadkar saying the gov wernt backing the sale of AL to jetblue that i was trying to find.

yeah bit of a disaster today.

you could practically hear the "tic tock" of the seconds as they dragged by to all that silence.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Was it on Panorama (Richard Dimbleby) where one line went down live and then the other line went down....cue nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Who is she?

hear hear

the wan who does 'what it says in the papers' lacks the necessary wit of John S. Doyle.

BrianD wrote: »
    It's amazing the number of RTE staff who have tried to defend the indefensible regarding tweetgate.

it did however expose a liar, who could have been our president ergo pat the plank performed a public service.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    it did however expose a liar, who could have been our president ergo pat the plank performed a public service.
    I agree! Except that it's not his job. The whole thing smells at this stage, including Labour's there is nothing to see move on attitude.
    As to the newsreader, I also agree, she is terrible! The show sounded like a transition year project.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

GSF wrote: »
    As the early retirees have left, it amazing the number of RTE staffers that have suddenly been drafted in to read the news. Begs the question as to what they were doing before?

Is O'Rourke gone ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭squonk

Was just thinking the same thing. It'd be a shame if he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

If he had retired Im sure it would be in the papers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd say he's off golfing.

Tell me something

Is it ROSH SHEEN Duffy OR ROW SHEEN Duffy

To me it should be ROW SHEEN but alas RTE/She herself calls it ROSH SHEEN ?

She is quite rubbish on this programme too

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

vicwatson wrote: »

Tell me something

Surely it's up to a person as to how his or her own name should be pronounced?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Tell me something

terrible dronal pronunciation ......... painful to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Actually enjoyed her diction......

and her news delivery......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Surely it's up to a person as to how his or her own name should be pronounced?

Why answer a question with a question?:rolleyes:

Tell me something

Rosh een must be the RTE way of pronouncing it. she might think it sounds posh and the original pronunciation bogger like.some folk just cannot tolerate a Gaelic name. Maybe she should change it to Rosaleen.

not only do people in this country have the unusual habit of translating names or trying to angliscise them, but they also meddle with the pronunciation.
    just like in Dublin Sorcha tends to be pronounced as Sore sha.

maybe they will move on to Deirdre being pronounced as Dear dree.

my friend wrote: »
    terrible dronal pronunciation ......... painful to listen to.

maybe she should try to be herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Lapin wrote: »
    Is O'Rourke gone ? :(

Please say it isn't so... :(

though I haven't tuned in much recently.... at least his pic is still on the RTE streaming thingy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8 citymedia

Hang on a minute. What's tweetgate?

point me to some tweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

citymedia wrote: »
    Hang on a minute. What's tweetgate?

point me to some tweets.

Did you miss the whole "Seán Gallagher/Frontline/Presidential Debate/Bogus Tweet" story? It was quite popular...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 citymedia

Bard wrote: »
    Did you miss the whole "Seán Gallagher/Frontline/Presidential Debate/Bogus Tweet" story? It was quite popular...

I heard a little something about it, but to be honest most of these so-called controversies that come out of political debates are total non-stories and should be treated with the utter contempt they deserve.

And technically, there's no such thing as a bogus tweet. Tweets can be misattributed on twitter, I've seen it happen many times, usually when a tweet is sent directly to more than one address. If a tweet appeared on an account, it's not bogus. And since the only way to send tweets is to be logged on to an account, there's no such thing as a bogus tweet.

But apart from all that, what actually happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

Hi Rosheen my name is Joe but I pronounce it Mick. Probably like yourself I've noticed it confuses a lot of people. Maybe we could make a deal to get back to calling it as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Where was Sean O'Rourke? Quality presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

BX 19 wrote: »
    Where was Sean O'Rourke? Quality presenter.

I think he gets allowed holidays every now and then, there was some mention at the start of the week that he was on holidays this week. I thought it was quite clever that Pat Kenny decided to go on holidays the week RTE had to broadcast the Twittergate grovel to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

citymedia wrote: »
    I heard a little something about it, but to be honest most of these so-called controversies that come out of political debates are total non-stories and should be treated with the utter contempt they deserve.

While it's certainly a subjective issue, I'd hardly have called it a 'non story' myself, all things considered. This WAS a controversy which had wide reaching implications and will set an important precedent.

It may have mostly passed you by but it was the biggest news story of the time and it's going to have considerable impact on Irish media in general.
    And technically, there's no such thing as a bogus tweet. Tweets can be misattributed on twitter, I've seen it happen many times, usually when a tweet is sent directly to more than one address. If a tweet appeared on an account, it's not bogus. And since the only way to send tweets is to be logged on to an account, there's no such thing as a bogus tweet.

Er, sorry... but that's bull****.

The tweet came from a BOGUS ACCOUNT - i.e.: an account that purported to belong to someone whom it didn't come from... therefore anything it offered as the 'official' opinion of who it says it represents (Sinn Féin's press office in this case) IS bogus.

So the tweet in question - which said that SF were going to hold a press conference the next day to make a certain revelation about Seán Gallagher - WAS bogus.
    But apart from all that, what actually happened?

If you're going to debate something, at least read up on it... I'm sure you can put "tweetgate" or "Sean Gallagher" into the search box on news sites such as thejournal.ie and find out for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Bard wrote: »
    While it's certainly a subjective issue, I'd hardly have called it a 'non story' myself, all things considered. This WAS a controversy which had wide reaching implications and will set an important precedent.

It may have mostly passed you by but it was the biggest news story of the time and it's going to have considerable impact on Irish media in general.

Er, sorry... but that's bull****.

The tweet came from a BOGUS ACCOUNT - i.e.: an account that purported to belong to someone whom it didn't come from... therefore anything it offered as the 'official' opinion of who it says it represents (Sinn Féin's press office in this case) IS bogus.

So the tweet in question - which said that SF were going to hold a press conference the next day to make a certain revelation about Seán Gallagher - WAS bogus.

If you're going to debate something, at least read up on it... I'm sure you can put "tweetgate" or "Sean Gallagher" into the search box on news sites such as thejournal.ie and find out for yourself.

Can twitter not trace who created this account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Anyone else notice a lot of mistakes on RTE TV and radio lately,dropped lines wrong clips shown on Six one news etc

Maybe its just me:confused:

Advertisement