Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof jacket for running

Options
  • 13-03-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

I recently started Couch to 5k (so it's not like I'm a runner runner!), but I'd like to not be able to use the 'it's raining' excuse, can anyone recommend a good jacket for running (that doesn't have you as wet on the inside as on the outside)! lidl had running jackets last week, but they were gone in the first hour!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You are after shower proof not water proof......

Also as you have just started light and cheap will be the finest.
    Dunnes have shower proof things for sale in their own little pouch for a tenner,starting out these should do you the finest.
    After a while getting wet will not bother you plus Summer is coming........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Heatons have ronhill cycling jackets for 15 or a karimor running jacket for the same (Both in magnificent high-hi-vis yellow. This may be a sale price not sure if it is the normal rrp.I have another one that I got in penney's or dunnes that folds into it's own pocket and has an elastic belt for going around the waist, handy.( Carrick tri a few years ago gave the same one with their goodie bag)
    As said above after a while the rain won't bother you that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭cjdun1

that's great - thanks so much for your help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

..and as someone pointed out before on a similar thread"Your skin is waterproof";)

thanks again - I do suffer from chest infections (history of pneumonia), so any guidance on ensuring chest is ok even in rain, I'd be grateful for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

cjdun1 wrote: »
    thanks again - I do suffer from chest infections (history of pneumonia), so any guidance on ensuring chest is ok even in rain, I'd be grateful for

I had pneumonia a few years ago and running in the rain has nothing to do with it (unless you're sitting around in dripping wet clothes for a couple of hours afterwards, which I presume you're not).

Personally I think waterproof running jackets are a con. You get wet when you're sweating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you get a decent one they're good. I was given a gift of a OMM one and it's great, keeps you dry and doesn't overheat you compared to others I've used. I tried a cheapy Lidl one once, it was as useful as wearing tissue paper and was wetter on the inside than on the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

ThisRegard wrote: »
    If you get a decent one they're good. I was given a gift of a OMM one and it's great, keeps you dry and doesn't overheat you compared to others I've used. I tried a cheapy Lidl one once, it was as useful as wearing tissue paper and was wetter on the inside than on the outside.

I have one of the OMM kamleika smocks, and its the best piece of kit I own (besides runners). Highly recommended, keeps you bone dry, is stretchable material (so easy on/off, and doesn't flap noisily in the wind), easy to regulate temperature. Highly recommended, and it's vital when running on exposed area's. Use it for biking too.
    I had pneumonia a few years ago and running in the rain has nothing to do with it (unless you're sitting around in dripping wet clothes for a couple of hours afterwards, which I presume you're not).

Personally I think waterproof running jackets are a con. You get wet when you're sweating.

I'm betting you've never ran in wind/sleet/rain for several hours, in a proper waterproof jacket. There's a huge difference between the moisture from your sweat, and constant cold moisture from the elements. A decent waterproof jacket (in conjunction with proper base layers) will stop you getting hypothermia.

I'm betting you've never ran in wind/sleet/rain for several hours, in a proper waterproof jacket.

I have run for hours in wind/sleet/rain (ok, maybe not sleet).

I have done so in a waterproof jacket as well, but not in a few years because I prefer being wet to being steamed from inside.

Edit: Actually I just remember a long run in sleet a couple of years ago, so that box is ticked as well.

P.S. I'm a road runner. I realise that things are different if you're heading into the mountains, but that's not what the OP is referring to.

hi all - thanks again for the responses, I just want to ensure that I can't be a little sugar lump with the 'oh, it's raining' excuse to not go out

thanks again - all information very gratefully received:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

I got a great nike one in TK Max 30-40 euros I think. Always worth a look for good value stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

i got the jacket that donothoponpop is recommending & it was the best piece of running gear i bought all year, saying that i'll only use it for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

jfh wrote: »
    i got the jacket that donothoponpop is recommending & it was the best piece of running gear i bought all year, saying that i'll only use it for the winter.

155.....:eek::eek::eek: think i'd rather be wet!

dahat wrote: »
    155.....:eek::eek::eek: think i'd rather be wet!

Good luck with that. The OP is asking about a waterproof running jacket that won't get you very sweaty on the inside. The jacket I linked to is waterproof, breathable, and you can regulate the temperature. Sealed seams and zips, very important. To get all of these features in one jacket, you'll have to spend money. Anything cheaper (goretex or coolmax) is too heavy. Anything cheaper still, and you'll be dry but sweaty, or wet and not sweaty. Cheaper again (some of the jackets mentioned), and you'll be wet and sweaty. If you're running in those sort of jackets, you may as well just accept the elements. Fine on a lot of runs; foolhardy on some.

By the way, the OMM smock I linked to would be considered at the lower end of price range for waterproof running jackets, I have mates who spend three times that amount (more temperature regulation). FWIW I used to run in a Lidl Coolmax running jacket, which is dry, but you'll sweat like a pig- you get what you pay for.

But don't you think the gear required for a mountain run in the Wicklow hills (which is what you have in mind) and for the short runs in the C25K plan (which is what the OP asked for) is different?

But don't you think the gear required for a mountain run in the Wicklow hills (which is what you have in mind) and for the short runs in the C25K plan (which is what the OP asked for) is different?

To be honest, no, since the OP is put off running in the rain, and doesn't want to get sweaty, the only jacket mentioned so far that will keep you dry and not too sweaty is the one OMM one. It would be far cheaper for the OP to just embrace the rain, but that's a different question. No point pretending the placebo that are lidl jackets will make a hoot of difference- either spend decent money on a decent jacket, or learn to enjoy running in the rain.

One opinion on the internet.

To be honest, no, since the OP is put off running in the rain, and doesn't want to get sweaty, the only jacket mentioned so far that will keep you dry and not too sweaty is the one OMM one. It would be far cheaper for the OP to just embrace the rain, but that's a different question. No point pretending the placebo that are lidl jackets will make a hoot of difference- either spend decent money on a decent jacket, or learn to enjoy running in the rain.

One opinion on the internet.

I very much respect your opinion, but I had to laugh at that.

If the OP is put off by running in the rain and does not want to get sweaty, the OP won't have much joy running in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Just another opinion on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I very much respect your opinion, but I had to laugh at that.

If the OP is put off by running in the rain and does not want to get sweaty, the OP won't have much joy running in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Just another opinion on the internet.

Put another €150 to it and buy a 2nd hand treadmill :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,896 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I can count the number of times I've had to run in the rain over the past year on one hand and I run most days. But if he did want to get a waterproof jacket for those 5 days a year, I'd agree with donothoponpop, cheap waterproofs are a false economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 willmars

I am not sure about the water proof jacket but I heard about the gill race waterproof jackets. They also work at high temperature. They have good ergonomic design and 4dot waterproof breathable layer. Most of the racer prefers these jackets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I ended up buying a Craft cycling jacket a couple of years ago, because I literally couldn't find one that wouldn't turn into a parachute on me when running. Craft tend to make gear that's fitted.

I think I've worn it 5 times since I bought it. And only when it's been bitterly cold as well as wet. Those OMM ones look good. I'm amazed how many jackets flap in the wind, surely that's precisely what you don't want when running :confused:

Advertisement