Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NLP

Options
  • 13-03-2012 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Ive had anxiety and panic disorder for 7 years, at this stage i cant leave my house without an attack. I have constant anxiety at this stage and when i know i have to go somewhere, I get panic attacks hours before even leaving. To be honest, have pretty much given up as no meds or councilling have helped. NLP, if it does what it suggests looks promising tho. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and what did they get from it? Also, I see they say the main thing is "you have to be willing to be hypnotised", If your in an anxious state (which i will be), can that make you unwilling? Any thoughts, experiences, expertiese very welcome! Can barely leave the house so obviously havent worked in years, so dont have the cash to throw into it if it doesnt work, or if there isnt a chance. If there is a chance and others have found it good, ill be into it in a heartbeat! Other worry is that ive sent 2 emails to people who do NLP but no reply, always makes me worry a bit! So any NLP people you know and trust would be amazing!

Thanks all,

Dec.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So, I have done NLP to master level. To be honest, I wouldn't recommend for what you are suffering from. I am not sure how you would be able to do the training as it's quite full on and done in group sessions. I got a lot out of NLP, I went because I was unhappy in my career. In the 3 years following that, I have completely changed my life around and am doing really well in a new career. Part of this is down to the NLP experience, but I think a large part is just down to a change in mind set, which started when I decided to take charge of my future.

A lot of the NLP seminars are not a great place for people who are really vulnerable. You are constantly being sold new training programs, upgrades etc.

What about cognitive behavioural therapy. To be that may be a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭daveyboynire

Fandango wrote: »
    Anyone have any thoughts on this? Ive had anxiety and panic disorder for 7 years, at this stage i cant leave my house without an attack. I have constant anxiety at this stage and when i know i have to go somewhere, I get panic attacks hours before even leaving. To be honest, have pretty much given up as no meds or councilling have helped. NLP, if it does what it suggests looks promising tho. Just wondering if anyone has tried it and what did they get from it? Also, I see they say the main thing is "you have to be willing to be hypnotised", If your in an anxious state (which i will be), can that make you unwilling? Any thoughts, experiences, expertiese very welcome! Can barely leave the house so obviously havent worked in years, so dont have the cash to throw into it if it doesnt work, or if there isnt a chance. If there is a chance and others have found it good, ill be into it in a heartbeat! Other worry is that ive sent 2 emails to people who do NLP but no reply, always makes me worry a bit! So any NLP people you know and trust would be amazing!

Thanks all,

Dec.

NLP has nothing to do with hypnosis to be honest. I studied NLP for a while, there is no scientific proof that it works and I certainly never had much luck with it, I also have suffered from Agoraphobia and Panic Attacks, tried meds etc which never worked, I got myself through it using self help courses, but certainly for anxiety I would not recommend NLP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

NLP has nothing to do with hypnosis to be honest.
    That is not true. NLP is based largely on the work of Milton Erickson who was one of the world's leading hypnotists. It is about indirect hypnosis. It is true to say there is no scientific evidence of NLP being effective but it is related to hypnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭daveyboynire

That is not true. NLP is based largely on the work of Milton Erickson who was one of the world's leading hypnotists. It is about indirect hypnosis. It is true to say there is no scientific evidence of NLP being effective but it is related to hypnosis.

I stand corrected then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

I stand corrected then.
    no problem if you read the link you will see how erickson's work contributed to NLP. But you are correct there is no real scientific prrof of NLP. And there are a lot of chancers claiming to be NLP experts. However there is a relation to hypnosis, mostly indrect hypnosis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Hi Fandango,

I know the confusion and fear panic attacks can bring, was there myself but not to your extent. I was having panic attacks in places with people at work, the more I feared having a panic attack in those situations the more stressed I was, the bigger the chance of having a panic attack. I can imagine if I had not of dealt with this issue it could have lead to me not wanting to leave the house at all.

I went to a hypnotist in Cabinteely in 2007 who unfortunately is not working anymore and have not had a panic attack since, it was amazing and I was fairly skeptical going in, thought maybe he could give some relief at best. I've since left my IT job and become a hypnotist. I still know some hypnotists in the Dublin are who could help or you can pm me for any advice.

A great book on understanding panic attacks is by Aine Tubridy- When Panic Attacks

And by the way anxiety does not get in the way of your willingness for something to work, I was very nervous during the session but if the hypnotist is good enough he/she will help you get around this. You were not born with this anxiety, you learned it somewhere along the way and luckily it can be unlearned, hang in there buddy.

Advertisement