Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to give up smokes!

Options
  • 13-03-2012 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi people :)
    Im trying give up the smokes and am just wondering does anyone know if the patches are any good?
    your help would be greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RealExpert

Have you actually gave them up yet or just leading up to it?I was smoking 40 a day before I lost my job 3 and a half years ago.Two days afterwards I stopped smoking and have never touched one since.I didnt use patches just will power.I loved my cigs with a passion and thats a fact but I love my children more and thats what gave me the strength to quit.When I was smoking my neighbour would keep on about me smoking and that if I quit I would be around longer for my children so thats what it took for me to pull the plug on them.Now getting back to your question about the patches.I know the patches are expensive but I hear there is a better way.Go to your GP and ask about tablets to help you quit they are available but I dont know the name of them.I know someone that gave them up after being on the tablets for a week and he never looked back since.
    Good luck in your efforts to quit.Once you get over the first few days you will be well on the way but also you must have the will to do it.

PS.I was a "passionate" smoker for 26 years but now I feel a lot better.I still have a few cigs in a pack from when I gave them up I dont know why I didnt throw them in the fire.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

RealExpert wrote: »

PS.I was a "passionate" smoker
    Know what you mean, apart from the habit I loved my smokes
    .I still have a few cigs in a pack from when I gave them up I dont know why I didnt throw them in the fire.....................

The pack being open for three and a half years I wouldn't think they have any more than sentimental valve left :D

Fair play anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

have a click into the vaping and esmoking forum

60 euro will get you a good ecig kit, another 10-20 will get you a couple of starter juices to test out and see what you like. after that ten-15 euro a month if even oughta do you. you still get your nicotine, but you're not burning plants and inhaling smoke and over time you can reduce your nicotine content further and further ifyou want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

The patches are good for quitting smoking. The instructions in the packet say you should stay on them for 8 weeks but thats complete and utter nonsense. I tried quitting cold turkey about 5 or 6 times and had no luck.
    I smoke 20+ a day for seven years. I got the strongest patches and used them for five days. It relieved my nicotine cravings(not fully though) and also helped me break the habit of lighting up and having to do something with your fingers. After coming off the patches after five days I felt the withdrawl symptons werent half as bad as you were used to not smoking the previous five days. Im off the fags now two weeks and feel great! It still takes a good bit off will power after coming off the patches but not half as much if ya have never used the patches! Its all about of breaking the routine of lighting up the cigarette. I feel now that If i ever get the desire to smoke again, im straight off the chemist. Always handy to keep a few pieces of nicorette gum in your wallet as well incase you are inclined to smoke again.

Advertisement