Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Blacklisted' iPhone

Options
  • 13-03-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So I have an iPhone 4S with o2
    But due to my job situation changing, some poor future planning & a few to many on-peak out of bundle calls... I didn't manage to keep up with my bill & got cut off! :(

I've been in contact with o2 and have setup a payment plan (So at least I can save my credit rating)

The issue is they won't reconnect my handset until I'm below a certain amount due... and to be honest thats a bit off at the moment... Say 10 euro a week... Few 100 away from target!

I no my iPhone can be unlocked from the o2 network... but is there anyway to save it from the Blacklist??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Bobbybop wrote: »
    So I have an iPhone 4S with o2
    But due to my job situation changing, some poor future planning & a few to many on-peak out of bundle calls... I didn't manage to keep up with my bill & got cut off! :(

I've been in contact with o2 and have setup a payment plan (So at least I can save my credit rating)

The issue is they won't reconnect my handset until I'm below a certain amount due... and to be honest thats a bit off at the moment... Say 10 euro a week... Few 100 away from target!

I no my iPhone can be unlocked from the o2 network... but is there anyway to save it from the Blacklist??

Is the phone already blacklisted?

I believe there are ways and the folks here you tell you in a flash, but tbh
    a post like this as your 1st - ie try to use a blacklisted phone is no going to be endearing to the members here.

Alot have had phones stolen etc...and these kind of requests really p1ss people off

Again..my 0.02 cents

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

your phone doesnt get blacklisted if its just suspended from calls, why not get an o2 prepay sim to use as a spare number in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Bobbybop

@Deep Thought... I get what you mean I never really understood the politics of these forums... I seem to always end up on Boards.ie when I google something... but just never bothered joining because of this unspoken code that seems to go on...

@Krudler It was initially just blocked from making calls etc but I continued to ignore the bill situation so now I've been blocked from receiving also!
    Aka Blacklisted!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Bobbybop wrote: »
    @Krudler It was initially just blocked from making calls etc but I continued to ignore the bill situation so now I've been blocked from receiving also!
    Aka Blacklisted!

Not being able to receive calls isn't AKA Blacklisted.
    That just means your number was suspended.
    Blacklisted is where you IMEI go's onto a blacklist for most irish phone networks.
    Do as krudler said and try a RTG sim in it.
    If if blacklisted there is no way to remove this

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sorry but I'm not inclined to help newbies with this stuff.
    The o2 forum is here if you want to ask themselves.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1479

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Quickest way to test it is to borrow an O2 SIMM from a friend and try it in your phone, if the phone is blacklisted it wont work. I suspect your a/c is blocked, not the handset itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭healyron

Is the phone already blacklisted?
    Alot have had phones stolen etc...and these kind of requests really p1ss people off

I'm one of those who had a phone stolen. Probably still being used somewhere.

However, the networks could stop that. All they'd have to do is make it possible to check if a phone is stolen or blacklisted.

I wanted to buy an iPhone for my daughter. In each case I called the networks and asked if they'd tell me if an IMEI was on the blacklist or still in contract (as you can do if buying a car that has HPO payments outstanding). In each case they said 'No'.

I ended up buying a phone that the seller then didn't pay the remainder of their bill on... and it's now blacklisted and useless.

Guess what? The Networks are NOT interested in preventing these phones being resold. Why? Because the seller will probably still get a new one and the buyer...? well, tough.

Regards
    Ron

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

healyron wrote: »
    I wanted to buy an iPhone for my daughter. In each case I called the networks and asked if they'd tell me if an IMEI was on the blacklist or still in contract (as you can do if buying a car that has HPO payments outstanding). In each case they said 'no'
    I've purchased several handsets (not only iPhones) and in several cases, where I had doubt, I have rang Vodafone and they have always given me the information without hesitation (if it's blacklisted on any Irish network, all providers will know).
    in one situation, I purchased a Nokia N95 8gb and at the time of purchase it was fine according to a CSA. An hour later it was reported and blacklisted. Rang Vodafone and gave the agents name who had initially given me the information. I was then transferred over to her. Could not remove the blacklist but received 3mths free bills to compensate for the cost of the phone. Always get a name of who you are speaking with to ease future follow up issues.

dodzy wrote: »
    I've purchased several handsets (not only iPhones) and in several cases, where I had doubt, I have rang Vodafone and they have always given me the information without hesitation (if it's blacklisted on any Irish network, all providers will know).

It would appear that Vodafone and others will tell you if it is reported stolen, not if it is blacklisted because of a non-payment of a bill.

That's another issue. How can a netowrk's inability (or lack of motivation) to pursue their own customer for non payment of a bill end up with an unsuspecting party being punished...?

I buy a phone form Joe Bloggs and use it with my SIM, no problem. joe Bloggs then pisses off without paying his bill. Network deactivates the phone. My phone. No matter how long I have had it, even with proof of purchase, copies of ID, letter from Joe Bloggs' mother and local priest. None of it matters. Netowrk's can deactivate MY phone.

Seems fair alright.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

It would appear that Vodafone and others will tell you if it is reported stolen, not if it is blacklisted because of a non-payment of a bill.

That's another issue. How can a netowrk's inability (or lack of motivation) to pursue their own customer for non payment of a bill end up with an unsuspecting party being punished...?

I buy a phone form Joe Bloggs and use it with my SIM, no problem. joe Bloggs then pisses off without paying his bill. Network deactivates the phone. My phone. No matter how long I have had it, even with proof of purchase, copies of ID, letter from Joe Bloggs' mother and local priest. None of it matters. Netowrk's can deactivate MY phone.

Seems fair alright.

As said, when you contact te provider initially, tell them that you are now the owner of IMEI bla bla bla. They have confirmed that it is not blacklisted. Get their name. You HAVE some comeback from that point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seems fair alright.

Problem is, where the network will usually have subsidised it, its not your phone as it wasn't the original owner's phone to sell.

whiterebel wrote: »

Seems fair alright.

Problem is, where the network will usually have subsidised it, its not your phone as it wasn't the original owner's phone to sell.

Problem is, yet it was....

AFAIK the contract is NOT the same as a Hire Purchase agreement where the ownership of the product doesn't change hands until the contract terminates.

Even if it WAS such a case, a HP agreement can be checked before buying to make sure it isn't still owned by the supplier. These contracts cannot.

Finally, if I buy a product at some point that is NOT stolen, it becomes legally mine at that point. If it is deactivated afterwards, it punishes me and not the transgressor. Even if I tell the network that I bought it, they won't care because it's easier to deactivate the phones than to pursue their customer for breach of contract.

They hope that deactivating phones arbitrarily will eventually lead to customers NOT selling on their phones still in contract. Of course, the fact that their customer can still sell them and THEN report them, or forget about their contracts, defeats that.

Bottom line is, networks do NOT have a legal ownership of the resold phone, I do. That's the legal position but nobody gives much of a sh*t about it

Cheers

Ron

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You might want to check the t&cs for VF. 3 certainly have it in theirs that it is their property until contract is paid. I'd imagine all the others do too.

You might want to check the t&cs for VF. 3 certainly have it in theirs that it is their property until contract is paid. I'd imagine all the others do too.

And having something in the T&Cs relates to their contract with their customer. If s/he sells it, they're in breach of contract. I'm not.

Anyway, I take your point. The issue isn't whether they can. They do. That's obvious. The issue is why they won't tell people before they buy second hand

And, despite your earlier comment, they won't tell if someone is paying their bill

Let's leave it at that

Cheers

Ron

And having something in the T&Cs relates to their contract with their customer. If s/he sells it, they're in breach of contract. I'm not.

Anyway, I take your point. The issue isn't whether they can. They do. That's obvious. The issue is why they won't tell people before they buy second hand

And, despite your earlier comment, they won't tell if someone is paying their bill

Let's leave it at that

Cheers

Ron

My earlier comment?:confused:

Let's leave it at that

Cheers

Ron

My earlier comment?:confused:

Mine too :-)

You're saying they'll tell you if someone is in breach of contract. I'm saying they won't. It would be a breach of data protection

Anyway, agree to disagree

Cheers

Advertisement