Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBEC EOP interview

Options
  • 12-03-2012 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

I have an interview for the EOP programme with IBEC next week and I was wondering if anyone who has successfully completed it could share any wisdom on the types of questions etc? Is it just usual interview stuff?
    Also - I included that I have a language, but am now feeling very nervous that my level won't be up to scratch, has anyone conducted part of their interview in their 2nd language before? What sorts of things did they ask?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ByJove

Well hello there,

I was just about to make a thread on this. There is great advice on past threads on this. The search on any site is poor compared to Google, I type:
    EOP boards.ie and let google do the rest, you'll see a ton of threads, read them, they are very useful!

I had my interview today and also speak a language, so yes I can help you! It wasn't a difficult interview in my view. The questions were fairly standard. They went through my whole CV and asked a question or two on each part. There is a guy and a girl. She's lovely and friendly. He's quite quiet but not in an intimidatingly way, he's still friendly and sincere. So:

1. Discuss CV, asking a few questions along the way?
    2. What do you hope to get from the program?
    3. Why did you choose your degree?
    4. Would you change anything about your degree?
    5. Are you intersted in working without your language or working in Ireland?
    6. Here are two sample jobs on offer, tell me which one you think you'd prefer?
    7. Imagine I'm on a team with you (college or work) and don't want to work much, what are you going to do or say?

There's a few of them, exactly as I wrote. There were a couple more but not many and I can't remember them. They said that applications were huge this year, between 900-1,000. They said they will shortlist us to 150-200 candidates and then let the companies contact us if they are interested in interviewing us. They will send us a letter at the end of May to tell us whether we're on the shortlist or not. IBEC is located about 10
    minutes walk down Lower Baggot St. on the right hand side when you're on Baggot St. The door is wide open but it's easy to miss the building if
    you're not looking, there is only a small sign that I seen to distinguish the place.

Neither of the interviewers spoke the language I study so I was not tested. They can test your German and French if you speak them though.

If you need to know anything else, just ask!

Has anyone else applied this year?????

• Registered Users Posts: 37 becm

Many thanks for your reply, it is most helpful! I just have one more question - what did they ask you in your second language? I'm quite nervous about that part and want to be as prepared as possible!
    Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ByJove

Well they didn't speak my second language so didn't test me at all...the lady speaks French and German and if you speak those I'd say she'd just say a few lines to you, nothing more.

She did ask about the language I do speak - can I meet clients in the language, ring them, write reports, design plans in the language....

I wasn't too bothered about that because I've no intention of taking a language job, I conveyed that delicately and she said she understood just fine!

ByJove wrote: »
    Well they didn't speak my second language so didn't test me at all...the lady speaks French and German and if you speak those I'd say she'd just say a few lines to you, nothing more.

She did ask about the language I do speak - can I meet clients in the language, ring them, write reports, design plans in the language....

I wasn't too bothered about that because I've no intention of taking a language job, I conveyed that delicately and she said she understood just fine!

Thanks for your help...had my interview today, hard to tell how it went but I suppose time will tell, it was fairly standard stuff but then there were a few more difficult ones thrown in....caught me off guard a bit!
    Again - thanks for your help, hopefully we both get good news in May! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

I done this interview around this time last year and was successful and placed on this list of 100-150. However I have heard nothing since then and am actually working for the past 6 months at something unrelated. Actaully haven't heard of too many on this list who have secured a job from the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

A friend of mine got on it last year and spent the year working in Brussels, before being offered another contract this year so he's moved back to Dublin.

He loved it so there are definetly those who prosper in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cunfam

Hi everyone, would anyone here have any further information on how a second language is assessed in these interviews? I would be very grateful for advice as the interview is coming up on Wednesday and I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about preparing. Thanks very much :)

cunfam wrote: »
    Hi everyone, would anyone here have any further information on how a second language is assessed in these interviews? I would be very grateful for advice as the interview is coming up on Wednesday and I'm wondering what would be the best way to go about preparing. Thanks very much :)

Hi,

For mine they literally asked one question and that was it, I got out about 2 sentences before they said that was fine. I suppose it depends on your language and whether or not one of the interviewers speaks it!

Thanks a million becm. Your second language wasn't French by any chance? :)

cunfam wrote: »
    Thanks a million becm. Your second language wasn't French by any chance? :)

Yep it was actually - and really it's nothing to worry about at all! The interview itself is fine, just so long as you're prepared for general interview questions you'll be fine. And the language bit is only a very small part of the half hour!

• Advertisement

Thanks your advice . I appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BettyWoop

Hi Guys,

Have an interview for EOP later today, anyone any last minute advice?

Thanks a mill

BettyWoop wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Have an interview for EOP later today, anyone any last minute advice?

Thanks a mill

Only saw this now! Just know your CV well and your experiences, what you learned etc.

Good luck!:)

Ah thanks! Went grand but definitely marketing based and I'm more IT so not sure why I was interviewed! Glad I went though. Best of luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 youngb

Hey Guys..
    How did ye all get on? I got onto the shortlist and accepted the place. Does anyone know what the story is now? Is it just a waiting game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

youngb wrote: »
    Hey Guys..
    How did ye all get on? I got onto the shortlist and accepted the place. Does anyone know what the story is now? Is it just a waiting game?

Hey!

I've been wondering the same. I noticed there is good info. from previous years on here. The tracks seem to run dry at the point we're at now - we have been short listed and wait for news. Yep, I think it's a waiting game now. I've applied for a ton other stuff just to keep my options open.

What do you think about the pay and the repayment if you quit aspects? They are the only things bothering me about it.

I have a longer reply I posted here before I saw this. You can read it here if you like:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056573632

Hi,

Sorry only seeing this now! Yep got shortlisted too and was called for an interview with Apple last week but was away! Been regretting it ever since! I bet nothing will come up now!

Oh no...

the interviewers asked me if I'd like to work for Apple and I said yeah...I didn't get called for interview yet! Well that can't be good. There aren't many companies in the internship and that one I was most interested in.

What do you think of the other companies, any take your interest? I suggested 2 others to them but nothing happened after that.

Hi, did anyone get any news? I'm on this year's list and haven't gotten ANY news. I'm surprised it's this difficult this year, it seemed easier to get a job last year but I was in my final year.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ElektroToad

I was put on the shortlist back in April. Had one interview over the summer but the company in question weren't even sure if they were hiring - it was just a "prospective interview". Really not much happening in the EOP as far as I can see.

In the end I decided to defer my place on the short list and do a postgrad. I know at least 2 other graduates who have also withdrawn from the programme because they also weren't getting interviews :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

In the end I decided to defer my place on the short list and do a postgrad. I know at least 2 other graduates who have also withdrawn from the programme because they also weren't getting interviews :/

Similar experience. I was short-listed when I graduated 2 years ago. I never even received a single job interview out of it. Ended up finding a decent job elsewhere.

The only up side was the EOP application process has a comprehensive interview if you want interview practice :rolleyes:

I got a call asking if I drive, but the jobs mentioned were not of any interest whatsover, as I previously indicated. Other than that, I get more luck outside of it for the moment. I do know two girls doing it that are very happy though (Bord Bia and Tourism Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jdel

I completed my interview the other night, tried the practice room and read that the real interview would give no time to read questions beforehand. I began answering question one, and realised the recording hadn't started!!! Awkward start but regained composurei hope! -did anyone complete it this year and how did they fare?

Advertisement