Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black millipede invasion!

Options
  • 12-03-2012 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

I have just been outside and have noticed hundreds (and I mean hundreds!) of black millipedes all over the walls of the house and shed. Just this minute found one crawling along the sitting room floor.

I have been doing some googling and i see the black european millipede matches the description. They are shiny black, about an 2-2.5cm long and curl into a shell spiral shape when disturbed.

Articles on the net suggest of areas under siege from these things all over the world. :eek:

Some neighbours reported them towards the end of last summer, finding them all over their houses too but they seemed to die out but obviously they're back with the weather getting milder.

Has anyone experience of these? Am I correct with the species ID? If I am right how do I get rid of them?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

They are vegetarians so wont do your house any harm

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Cassie77

SeaFields wrote: »
    I have just been outside and have noticed hundreds (and I mean hundreds!) of black millipedes all over the walls of the house and shed. Just this minute found one crawling along the sitting room floor.

I have been doing some googling and i see the black european millipede matches the description. They are shiny black, about an 2-2.5cm long and curl into a shell spiral shape when disturbed.

Articles on the net suggest of areas under siege from these things all over the world. :eek:

Some neighbours reported them towards the end of last summer, finding them all over their houses too but they seemed to die out but obviously they're back with the weather getting milder.

Has anyone experience of these? Am I correct with the species ID? If I am right how do I get rid of them?!

Hi. I have the same problem at the moment. I found that the ordinary ant killer keeps them away from the house and if u clear away any mouat debris etc. it should do the job. Hope this works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭berrypendel

Cassie77 wrote: »
    Hi. I have the same problem at the moment. I found that the ordinary ant killer keeps them away from the house and if u clear away any mouat debris etc. it should do the job. Hope this works.
    Do you use a spray or powder.What is the brand name, I find the chemical names confusing

i have some and an odd one coming in through front door and dying under the outside carpet. If i put ant powder under the carpet would it affect people who walk on it ?If i put powder around the door i would it cause harm if it blows near plants. can I spray a liquid on the ground out side to kill them before they get to door

Advertisement