Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sparrowhawk (was - what type of bird of prey?)

Options
  • 12-03-2012 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

hi all can anyone tell me what type of bird of prey this is?. i know the pic isn't great. it attacked and killed a pigeon which was about the same size as itself. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭TreesAreCrowd

That particular breed is called the Wild Smudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I'd have gone with a lesser spotted Hawkeye....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

hi all can anyone tell me what type of bird of prey this is?. i know the pic isn't great. it attacked and killed a pigeon which was about the same size as itself. thanks
    If it was roughly same size more than likely a sparrowhawk although called sparrowhawks they mainly prey on crows magpies and pigeon don't suppose u seen anything attached to its feet could belong to someone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from A&PI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

If it was roughly same size more than likely a sparrowhawk although called sparrowhawks they mainly prey on crows magpies and pigeon don't suppose u seen anything attached to its feet could belong to someone
    couldn't see anything on it's legs. it attacked the pigeon in a housing estate in D.15 both bouncing of a neighbours window then into the garden beside that. feathers were flying from the pigeons neck. i've never seen a bird of prey outside zoo's and places like that.

• Advertisement

couldn't see anything on it's legs. it attacked the pigeon in a housing estate in D.15 both bouncing of a neighbours window then into the garden beside that. feathers were flying from the pigeons neck. i've never seen a bird of prey outside zoo's and places like that.
    I do see them all the time it was defo a sparrowhawk then vicious birds great hunters very fast one of few that catch pigeon as their fast as heck
    I do be out hunting with my female Harris Hawk and wild hawks do sometime follow us hoping for free meal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Sparrowhawk

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

We're D15. We've had a sparrowhawk hit the window once, and a couple of times I've seen the remains of dead pigeons on the green nearby in a pattern that looks like a BOP kill.

cscook wrote: »

We're D15. We've had a sparrowhawk hit the window once, and a couple of times I've seen the remains of dead pigeons on the green nearby in a pattern that looks like a BOP kill.
    There's a good population of them around which is good their excellent hunters very fast and aggressive hard to train but when they are trained their excellent hunters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

There's a good population of them around which is good their excellent hunters very fast and aggressive hard to train but when they are trained their excellent hunters

They hardly need to be trained.

• Advertisement

They hardly need to be trained.
    Course they do you need to train it to come back to you it's long process but very rewarding and have to manage its weight aswell same way I done with my Harris hawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Course they do you need to train it to come back to you it's long process but very rewarding and have to manage its weight aswell same way I done with my Harris hawk

I meant they don't need to be trained to be excellent hunters.

I meant they don't need to be trained to be excellent hunters.
    Alright well believe it or some can lose interest altogether after being held captive and may need to be trained to get them back Into it cu when caught they are hand fed

Advertisement