Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone quit using NRT?

Options
  • 12-03-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

I am off the cigarettes now since last Wednesday, I started replacing cigarettes with Niquitin minis but they were so good when my cigarettes ran out me and the OH decided to keep going without the cigs and just the NRT.

I am reading lots of conflicting reports about quitting with NRT and am now afraid it is a waste of time. Lots of people here seem to go cold turkey or by Allen Carr (tried this, didn't work).

I am feeling pretty good this time. I used patches etc before and while they were good I went off them too quick I think, thinking I was grand and falling back into smoking. This time I intend to go the whole course.
    So has anyone actually been successful with these, or inhalers, patches etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I know lots of people who quit using patches but they didnt work for me. I'm now using an e-cig and I am off the 40 days now with absolutely no desire for a real cigarette. I have cut down from extra-high cartridges to low and my next ones purchased will be zero nicotine. I also know 5 other people who have quit using the e-cig and 1 who it didnt work for. Personally, I think its frame of mind above everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Thanks that's good to know, since the e-cig is nicotine too?

I feel good about this, and the tablet things are helping me. I am going to buy a load more, so I don't fall into the trap of thinking I can go off them in a week, and picking up smoking again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 apple101

I'm off the smokes 8 weeks now. The first couple of days I used the Niquitin minis - on average about 3 or 4 but only when I really wanted a cigarette. Within ten days, I was down to 1 so started using boiled sweets instead (sugarfree). I know its only early days yet but... I have absolutely no desire to smoke at all.

I had been smoking about 25 a day for roughly 25 years - so couldn't recommend the mini's highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

thanks apple101. Am still on the minis - they are fanastic! I am taking a lot more than you but seem to have unintentionally cut down on them anyway. The psycholigical addiction is going away which is probably the cause of this - I can happly have my dinner and not automatically go to have a cigarette now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 apple101

That's brilliant - well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Day 14 on the patches & very happy, very few cravings, stick it on & forget about it, no hand to mouth movements to worry about like with other nrt, chemist says 2 weeks on 25mg, 2 weeks on 15mg & 2 weeks on 10mg, think 10mg equals about 3 cigs

Info in the patches box is different and I'm going to follow that,

8 weeks on 25mg, 2 weeks on 15mg & 2 weeks on 10mg so won't have physically smoked for 12 weeks before having no patches

Have used other nrt, find patches the best for me but everyone is different & generally speaking my willpower is crap

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

You say that you have no will power but you are off the cigarettes 14 days.... Well done you - give yourself the credit you deserve :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm the same as Love2Love, i'm off the cigs 4 months using an e-cig, and i have absolutely NO DESIRE to go back on the analog cigarettes!

Seriously check out the vaping and e smoking forum!

Nearly day 21 cig free, nearly cracked during the week, got a mad craving I couldn't shake despite being on the patches

All in the head I know, it lasted 2hrs, was on my way home from work and had to decide between the chemist to pick up some microtabs (chemist said the odd microtab was ok due to the type of smoker I was in the first few weeks along with patch) or the off liscense next door for cigs, smoke one & throw the rest away????

Chemist won out, popped one microtab, been fine since

A lot of this is in the head too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

Day 14 on the patches & very happy, very few cravings, stick it on & forget about it, no hand to mouth movements to worry about like with other nrt, chemist says 2 weeks on 25mg, 2 weeks on 15mg & 2 weeks on 10mg, think 10mg equals about 3 cigs

Info in the patches box is different and I'm going to follow that,

8 weeks on 25mg, 2 weeks on 15mg & 2 weeks on 10mg so won't have physically smoked for 12 weeks before having no patches

Have used other nrt, find patches the best for me but everyone is different & generally speaking my willpower is crap

Best of luck

Hi there..
    Was just reading through the thread and i would like to say that you are doing the right thing followin the info on the box. Although i did 4 weeks of 25mg, 4 of 15mg and 4 of 10mg..

I am off the patches since the 8th of April and im flying it. I was warned by a friend to continue the patches for 3 months even though i might think i am fine. I listened to her and im glad i did. Off the cigarettes 20 weeks now and i feel so much better.

At 2 weeks you nearly have the hardest part done so stay strong and well done.. And also stay on the patches for the 12 weeks..

• Advertisement

Mom2Be wrote: »
    And also stay on the patches for the 12 weeks..

That's the plan anyway, actually finish the 12th week the day before going on two weeks holidays so may bring an extra two week supply of the low strength with me if I think I need them, that doesn't worry me too much, on week 6 now, did find about week four was really thinking less about smoking, hardly think about it at all now

Did forget to put a patch on one morning only realised when I got to work, nearly had a panic attack :D, drove home and got it

Well done to you too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I used the 24 hour patches - have done the 6 weeks on 21mg, and nearly finished 2 weeks on 14 mg, am starting 2 weeks on 7mg patches on Saturday so I should be finished them on 23rd june - going on holidays the first week in July. This was my second time trying the patches, I failed the first time after switching to the weaker patches, but was prepared for it this time. I'm hoping this is the last time too.

Just gone 8 weeks now so today moved onto the 15mg patch from the 25mg. Didn't notice any difference so all good so far.

Advertisement