Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Rock Tri Duathlon Ashford - 7th April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Anyone done this race before?

I'm a bit of a numpty but can't see routes on the website yet. The timing could work well for me, it's time I got off my lazy ass and did a race, and I've never done a duathlon :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Routes for 2011 are under the events tab. Took me 2 seconds to find. ;)

Ok, ill go get some coffee and stop posting for an hour until I wake up a bit, cheers RQ :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Did this race last year, and looks like I'm going to be going back. Good race, well run. Bike course brings you out on the N11 so surface aint bad and its hard-shoulder all the way to traffic isn't really an issue.

Ashford village itself was very busy towards the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

kingQuez wrote: »
    Anyone done this race before?

I'm a bit of a numpty but can't see routes on the website yet. The timing could work well for me, it's time I got off my lazy ass and did a race, and I've never done a duathlon :)

It's an ideal beginner Duathlon race as the run section is a completely flat course route; 2.5km out and 2.5km back.

As BetterThanHoyte says the cycle route goes out onto the N11 which has a bit of a hill but nothing drastic and it's only a one lap route afaik this year - you can even register on the day it'll be €25 for people with a Triathlon license and €30 for people without as you'll need to pay €5 for a 1 day license - Triathlon Ireland rules I'm afraid.

I just added a note on the homepage to tell people that the course route is in the events page so thanks for the feedback - you probably wont be the only person who missed this :D
    There is a small chance of a route change so keep an eye on the site closer to the date.

Direct link is here anyway for people http://www.3rocktriclub.com/events.php

• Advertisement

Nice one Keith.

Will there be something done about the dog that threatened last years race? I think I remember it ended up with a Garda babysitter for a lot of the race!

Nice one Keith.

Will there be something done about the dog that threatened last years race? I think I remember it ended up with a Garda babysitter for a lot of the race!

Oh yes I remember that! I was down there last weekend and there's actually 2 houses been built there at the moment and no dog! So happy days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 haggis_mccloud

Did this race last year, and looks like I'm going to be going back. .

ah now bTH, I though there would be at least one race this year where I wouldn't have to chase your skinny ass ;)

i'm in for this, season opener for me and my new wheels

ah now bTH, I though there would be at least one race this year where I wouldn't have to chase your skinny ass ;)

i'm in for this, season opener for me and my new wheels

I have a feeling I won't have it as easy this year haggis. I reckon you'll be an awful lot closer to me on the bike.

What wheels did you go for in the end?

I have a feeling I won't have it as easy this year haggis. I reckon you'll be an awful lot closer to me on the bike.

What wheels did you go for in the end?

I hope to be a bit quicker on the bike this year alright, hopefully by at least a couple of minutes for a 20k split. want to see something for all the turbo sessions! I would expect you to be quicker again though.
    Went for the Shimano RS80s 50mm in the end. Good price on Planet X and recommended by a few people. Got them delivered to my folks place. Text from my Dad this morning said that a big box arrived for me but it's very light. So that's a good sign!  I'm away this weekend so will leave the tt bike in to get service and wheels/cassette fitted. Looking forward to giving it a spin next week before the race on Saturday

• Advertisement

FYI - Online registration closes this week on 4th April at 5pm

You can also pay on the day if you want.

Just remember TI members have to bring your TI card or you'll have to pay the One Day License fee of €5 - Non-TI members will need to pay the One Day License €5 fee.

Just had a look at the race briefing from the 3rocktriclub website as I wanted to check the start time. Its 12 noon.
    http://www.3rocktriclub.com/

The bike route is different to last year (at least last April) - 2 8k loops plus extras instead of the out and back on the N11 from last year. Not a problem but it was news to me.

Yeah it was changed for last September's race - a last minute decision too; not 100% sure of the reason thou, could be to avoid using the N11 as there's cars travelling over 100km past cyclists.

keith123 wrote: »
    Yeah it was changed for last September's race - a last minute decision too; not 100% sure of the reason thou, could be to avoid using the N11 as there's cars travelling over 100km past cyclists.

Yeah but those cars were great for drafting off!:rolleyes:

Noticed the new bike route this morning. Disappointed I won't have an exact comparison to last year but the N11 is a little hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

Great race today - huge thanks to all the marshals for all their support (especially the woman at one of the roundabouts who kept shouting "great racing young lady!" every time I passed). One section of the bike leg was really rough though, I kept thinking I must have got a puncture as my speed seemed to go right down. And one of my contact lenses fell out...sorry, enough complaining! Great day for it and really well organised I thought.

3 rock always put on a well organised and friendly welcoming race. They did it again today.

Think I was 10th. Garmin froze on the startline so no race details, waiting on the results before I decide whether I'm happy or not!!

Don't think I saw you today littlemsfickle, but then I think I'd only know your swim stroke!!

+1

Well organized, friendly bunch of people at registration (and organizing it in general!), big group of marshals on the course giving encouragement, tea and sandwiches at the end. Oh, and sunshine! Yey! :D

Cracking day out, a big thanks to everyone that was involved in organizing the race!

Thanks for the feedback people!

All photo's and race results (with splits and total times) now on the web site.

www.3rocktriclub.com

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

3 rock always put on a well organised and friendly welcoming race. They did it again today.

Think I was 10th. Garmin froze on the startline so no race details, waiting on the results before I decide whether I'm happy or not!!

Don't think I saw you today littlemsfickle, but then I think I'd only know your swim stroke!!

You'll know me from the race pictures, I'll be the one that always looks stoned for some reason. Was wearing sunglasses today so I'm hoping that might dilute the effect. I was first in the women's race but still about ten minutes down on the winner.

I've been doing a lot of work on my swimming over the winter so I'm looking forward to my first triathlon - Nenagh sprint next week:)

Ah, didn't realise that was you I shared the lane with that day. I know who you are alright. Another good win today. Congrats.

Gotta thank 3 Rock for sorting out the sun for today's race also. Just accessing the sunburnt shoulders now. Top pinkage!!!

• Advertisement

+1 on a well organised, enjoyable race. Thanks to 3 rock Tri and the friendly marshalls. Liked the new bike course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

kingQuez wrote: »
    +1

Well organized, friendly bunch of people at registration (and organizing it in general!), big group of marshals on the course giving encouragement, tea and sandwiches at the end. Oh, and sunshine! Yey! :D

Cracking day out, a big thanks to everyone that was involved in organizing the race!

Well done for holding off BTH ;)

Well done for holding off BTH ;)

Oh, who is KingQuez??

He the Pulse guy I let go past me in the last KM as I was happy to cruise home at a comfortable pace? I even let me know I had no intention of racing him to the line! I could have had him, honest :rolleyes:....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Oh, who is KingQuez??

He the Pulse guy I let go past me in the last KM as I was happy to cruise home at a comfortable pace? I even let me know I had no intention of racing him to the line! I could have had him, honest :rolleyes:....

Who cruises home at a comfortable pace in a duathlon? :rolleyes::confused:

Oh, who is KingQuez??

KQ was one of the numerous people who finished ahead of you :p

Looking at 8th place though, doesn't look like you put up much of a fight. 13 seconds? What did you do, stop and usher him by you? Did you 'let' Mark Horan win as well?

Looking at 8th place though, doesn't look like you put up much of a fight. 13 seconds? What did you do, stop and usher him by you? Did you 'let' Mark Horan win as well?

On looking at the results to see who 'BetterThanHoyte' real name was I noticed a mistake in one of the times so just fixed it there now. It won't make a difference to Mr BetterThanHoyte place which was impressive none the less ;)

The fix I made was an incorrect time that was 1.18:12 instead of 1.28:12 - sorted now...

Thanks again for making me look thou ;)

Who cruises home at a comfortable pace in a duathlon? :rolleyes::confused:

Heart wasnt really in it to be honest. Stressful day on Friday when I couldnt get my bike working, and then other things on my mind as well :D.

It wasnt much short of ushering him past me. And guys like Mark Horan need a little moral boost every now and then so I let him take the glory this time!

A bit of detective work revealed that it was indeed KingQuez who I waved through in the last km. My detective work also revealed that KingQuez was second into T1 :eek: so its probably very likely that I couldnt have stayed with him anyway.

• Advertisement

A bit of detective work revealed that it was indeed KingQuez who I waved through in the last km. My detective work also revealed that KingQuez was second into T1 :eek: so its probably very likely that I couldnt have stayed with him anyway.

Not bad for someone who's sooooo lazy was it?!

Anyway, what was on your mind on Saturday? Share with your boards friends, were you worried you'd injure the knee you'd were getting down on on Saturday evening?

Edit: I believe the legal term for 'detective work' is stalking :D

Advertisement