Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography options

Options
  • 11-03-2012 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

anyone know which geography option is better. I dont care what my teacher is doing whats best?:)

which are you doing? 31 votes

geoecology
    0% 0 votes
    culture and identity
    90% 28 votes
    ocean and enviroment
    9% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

geoecology is the most done but if you do the economic elective, global interdependence is best. the ocean is handy if you like diagrams :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sports_

why if you done electives can you explain please thanks patchy

The economic elective questions seem to focus a lot on economic sustainability and conflict, and the GI option has both of those as long questions so it overlaps in that way :) I think theres other areas of overlap in them but I dont know exactly what can be asked on that option, but the two really go well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carnibell

Is it possible to learn GI starting from now? I dont really like geoecology and I am doing the economics elective and I'm good at that :)

Dunno, I wouldnt chance it. I've noticed a few q's are like extended versions of the economic ones which is really annoying (I do oceans, and economic elective)! You could maybe learn, for example, 4 conflicts of interests to cover you for economic and GI but I really wouldnt risk doing it totally wrong and messing up the most valuable question!

• Advertisement

Ok cool thanks :) what's oceans like? I dont know anyone doing it.

Haha yeah neither do I, I think my class must be the only ones in the country doing it :L It's actually pretty interesting with things like the composition of the ocean and the marianas trench in some parts :) But that stuff is never asked :/ The ones that always get asked are pretty difficult to get answers for, I really wish we werent doing it! but what can you do except get on with it i guess :P

good luck with it anyway :) how did ya do in the mocks ?

Thanks :) Got 4 marks off a B1, my teacher didnt apply the OC marks -_- I dont get him :rolleyes: Hoping to get an A2 in the real thing if I can! How'd you do? :)

well done thats really good :) you'll probably get an A2 handy :D i got 70% it was exactly what i wanted for the mocks and now i'm working for an A2 aswell :D

• Advertisement

Ah, well done! :) Good luck to us :D :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

carnibell wrote: »
    Ok cool thanks :) what's oceans like? I dont know anyone doing it.

It's easy once you've the answers learned off. But the only thing is the questions might come up a tad different.. for me i'm learning off 5 long Q's!:)

what ones are you learning off? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭siobhan93

I'm learning (and they're from Todays World Book 3 if you have that)
    1. Impact of Climate on Economic Development: Identifying aspect 1 - Climate & coastel tourism, I.A 2 - drought & desertification, I.A 3 - Rainfall & Domestic Water supply and I.A 4 - Rainfall/Climate on agriculture.
    (chap 9.8)

2. Mid-Latitude Depressions & Anticyclones (Chap 9.4)

3.Global Warming (Chap 9.7)
    Talk about Global Warming, Climate change and El Nino or if it comes up another way then Global Warming, El Nino and Ice Age.

4.Circulation Patterns in the Atmosphere (Chap 9.4/9.5)

5.Distribution of Solar Energy (Chap 9.2) *My teachers convinced this ones coming up haha
    Talk about latitude (5srps and a diagram), Altitude (6srps), Land and sea masses(5srps and a diagram) and Ocean Currents (6srps).

Any Q's just ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Eh Global Interdependence?

cool they dont seem that bad :)

Atmosphere-Ocean's really pissing me off today :(
    Just wondering, for anyone doing Geoecology, is anything about describing/explaining a biome supposed to come up this year? I'm using the desert biome notes for describing a global climate in my option, so I was thinking of just learning off the extra bits on flora/fauna to have a backup in case my option goes horribly wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Atmosphere-Ocean's really pissing me off today :(
    Just wondering, for anyone doing Geoecology, is anything about describing/explaining a biome supposed to come up this year? I'm using the desert biome notes for describing a global climate in my option, so I was thinking of just learning off the extra bits on flora/fauna to have a backup in case my option goes horribly wrong :rolleyes:

Well it came up the last 2 years, personally I'd be surprised if it did come up again. Maybe you could try human impact on a biome... it's just about acid rain so that's similar to climate. There's a sample answer in the sue honan book on it btw.

Oh cool, thank you! I do acid rain in my option too so it should be handy enough, thanks for the tip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Holahola94

Anyone doing Culture and identity?Learning it bymyself and could do with some help?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement