Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing for beginner!!

Options
  • 11-03-2012 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    I'm living in East Meath near the boyne estuary. I want to try to do some fishing in the area but I'm not really sure how to start as regards bait, tackle, rod, license etc. I was thinking of starting out at the boyne estuary, saw a few lads fishing there today. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

Hi there,

Taken from www.sea-angling-ireland.org

1 - River Boyne Estuary Button%20-%20Yellow%20-%20Pioneer%20Required!.gif You are not likely to catch the 'salmon of knowledge' of ancient legend, but the estuary continues to offer good fishing for the intrepid sea angler. Species & Techniques: If there is a surf you can try fishing into it for Bass and Flatfish, and all of this is on the Baltray side (not far from the Golf Course). Bottom fishing will also find Flatfish and Dogfish. Coalfish and Sea-Trout also reported.

An eight or nine foot spinning rod matched with a 10 pound line, a few decent sized fishing plugs and a bottomless pit of perseverence, would allow you to spin for Sea Trout and Bass although the Bass would'tn really be in taking form till June at the earliest (they like warm water) and you would need a license to fish for the sea trout.

Best advice is probably to chat to a few of the regulars you see fishing there as like all fishing it's about local knowledge, if you really want to get into it, join the local sea fishing club they will know the right gear (and more importantly the right spots)

Hope this is some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Zizou1985

Thanks for this. I'm a beginner too. Should be a help!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

lads I have a fishing group (totally free of charge).
    We have about 60 anglers now and organize beach fishing sessions as well as boat fishing. We are lucky to have some very knowledgeable lads on board who are passionate about fishing and enjoy very much teaching the beginners.
    You are welcome to join.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

hi love to join the fishing club what do i do ?

hi love to join the fishing club what do i do ?

Sorry I thought I posted the link, here it is:

http://www.meetup.com/Fishing-enthusiasts-of-Dublin/

This page is hosted on www.meetup.com , you will need to sign up and then look for the group Fishing Enthusiasts of Dublin. There are no costs or membership fees for using that website or the group.

cheers

• Advertisement

oh right , its that fat fella runs that , yea i met them once down in howth

Yeah I am the fat lad that runs the group. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Miamiheat wrote: »
    Yeah I am the fat lad that runs the group. :D
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The next person to join that group will immediately be placed under suspicion.

"Is that the guy who called me fat?"

well not exactly skinny so, a friendly bunch ya are so , its a small world in Ireland drop a fishing hook and everyone knows u i heard killiney wasent great the other night , see , how do i know that !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

you should give feeder fishing a go , some of my best size bream have been caught that way , the big lads stay at the bottom , well at least thats what ive found. you might catch more frequently on the float but I prefer a bit of a scrap with the decent sized ones.

• Advertisement

hi that sounds good i think i will try that , coarse anglers are friendlier , wher do you fish ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

I fish the canals in and around Leitrim , plenty of different spots , everywhere you look theres a lake ,canal, river, pond, but in particular castlefore lake and canal.

hi that sounds good i think i will try that , coarse anglers are friendlier , wher do you fish ?

Coarse anglers are friendlier :D:D:D
    Yeah Killiney was bad. We are being observed.
    Boat trip is next in Kilmore I expect better there.
    Cheers lads. I am actually looking for an organizer of freshwater meetups for the group. Getting too busy with sea fishing i dont have any more energy: in the list of things to do are coarse, carp, pike, and all the fly fishing etc etc. ideally someone knowledgeable at a few of these can organize a few events (there is nothing to it).

Just re-read your post. I am not exactly skiny LOL, no offense taken.
    cheers

see you in kilmore so

Advertisement