Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint Mortgage/Sole Title

Options
  • 11-03-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering has anyone recently got approval for Joint Mortgage, Sole Title???
    We are FTB looking to build on a site that has been gifted to my boyfriend by his parents, but the bank want us to have title passed to both names, which will have a tax liability for me!

Any help would be great thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

DAT64 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was wondering has anyone recently got approval for Joint Mortgage, Sole Title???
    We are FTB looking to build on a site that has been gifted to my boyfriend by his parents, but the bank want us to have title passed to both names, which will have a tax liability for me!

Any help would be great thanks.

It will really depend on what lender you're with as some banks are more open to offering joint mortgage/sole title than others. I'd suggest appealing it with them again and mention that it's your intention to get married further down the road at which time you'll transfer title to joint names. Some banks just don't like to assist people to avoid tax...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

DAT64,

If you go to the revenue site and look under the CAT (Capital Acquisitions Tax) you will see that there is a proviso made for your situation. Just look under gift of site. You should not be liable. It mentions wife/husband but partner should also be included.

Regards,
    Rose

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

It's really easy. I asked the bank about it when buying our house. I had a house prior to this and would have been caught for stamp duty. You solicitor should be able to facilitate it, mine did no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

It's really easy. I asked the bank about it when buying our house. I had a house prior to this and would have been caught for stamp duty. You solicitor should be able to facilitate it, mine did no problem.

Your solicitor can't register the title in either party's sole name without the agreement of the Bank. By the sounds of it you did this a few years ago (stamp duty implications?). Banks have changed their stance on this issue, some lenders are happy to allow it & some are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

Thanks everyone.
    We have approval for the funds but the title is the issue. They have changed their policy and will rarely do joint mtg/sole title apparently. We are appealing the decision through our solicitor hopefully it will turnaround for us. Thanks for the advise Killers. May have to go to another bank.

Rosehip can you give me a link to that info i have browsed revenue website but cant locate the info you are referring to.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

rosehip wrote: »

:D I did i promise!!
    Thanks so much, I'm not sure that I would be classed as his civil partner though, but i'll show my solicitor, thanks again :)

You're very welcome. Hope it helps BUT - a word of caution - your solicitor should know this - the Capital Acquisitions Act would be relevant to property purchases, transfers, conveyancing and estate planning, ie disposing of property legally to avoid tax after death etc -

So if they don't know the basics OR how to ring revenue and it's dedicated CAT section and ask a question .... i would be worried.

Advertisement