Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spots on the wall - help!

Options
  • 11-03-2012 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have been noticing some marks/spots on a couple of walls in our house and am wondering a) what it is and b) what is causing it?

Is it possible by the attached pictures below, for anyone to give me some info on what this is and how I should treat it before it gets out of hand?

Is it mould, or just damn in the wall??

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

its a mould caused by damp.
    Usually either excess moisture in the room or moisture crossing the wall from the outside.

1. Is it only in the room or various locations in the house.
    2. What type of build are the walls are they solid , cavity block or inner and out leaf with a cavity between?
    3. Do you dry clothes etc indoors ?
    4.Are the rooms heated regularily ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

its a mould caused by damp.
    Usually either excess moisture in the room or moisture crossing the wall from the outside.

1. Is it only in the room or various locations in the house. So far, its in the kitchen (behind the fridge only), the downstairs toilet, the sitting room in the top corner beside the air vent and in the bedroom.
    2. What type of build are the walls are they solid , cavity block or inner and out leaf with a cavity between? Its a timber frame house, and all instances of the mould are on walls that are outside facing. i.e. no internal walls
    3. Do you dry clothes etc indoors ? yes there would be clothes drying occasionally
    4.Are the rooms heated regularily ? the only one that wouldn't be heated regularly would be the downstairs toilet.

Thanks - My answers above

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

See previous thread here

Thanks - My answers above
    Very bad idea to be drying clothes indoors , i would reccomend using a dryer or condensor dryer if you cant dry outside , drying clothes inside leads to mold in the rooms very often.

Is there insulation in these walls ?

Other threads on here like the one linked to in another post have a wealth of information on causes and possible remedies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

splashthecash, try dabbing a small amount of bleach on a few mould spots. The fact that its a timber frame house and the damp is in so many different areas would make me think that there are problems with the vapour barrier in the walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Projectx

I have the same problem in my kitchen when cooking.
    There is a cooker extractor fan in place and is always turned on when any cooking is being done. ...steaming veg etc.
    Its a good size kitchen but on bad days the walls and windows are drenched with moisture.
    One wall is facing north..where the extractor fan is located.
    Clothes are often dried on rads in this room. (not good)

Any ideas on how to stop this problem ...(the clothes are going)
    Thanks

Projectx wrote: »
    I have the same problem in my kitchen when cooking.
    There is a cooker extractor fan in place and is always turned on when any cooking is being done. ...steaming veg etc.
    Its a good size kitchen but on bad days the walls and windows are drenched with moisture.
    One wall is facing north..where the extractor fan is located.
    Clothes are often dried on rads in this room. (not good)

Any ideas on how to stop this problem ...(the clothes are going)
    Thanks
    Have you checked is the extractor actually doing its job to an acceptable level , i have found ones where they are basically cheap pieces of crap and dont do a good job any way or the filter is mostly blocked.
    Easiest way to check would be with smoke matches from a plumbing supplier and check just how good the pull on the extract is. Also ensure the extract is connected properly to the wall vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Projectx

Tks for reply.
    I have some things boiling away here now and watching the steam rise.
    Lets say the spuds are not being sucked out of the pot but a good bit of steam is going straight up to the fan.
    The tube from the top of the fan enters a hole in the wall and is pushed out about half way through a pipe(duct) . Where the tube enters the wall is not sealed tight.
    I can see from outside that at least some steam is getting out.

Note .. walls are starting to get moist since I started typing this short note.
    Tks.

Advertisement