Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If light is electo-magnetic radiation why.....?

Options
  • 11-03-2012 2:53pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

If light is electrom-magnetic radiation why don't I see it bend and warp around a magnet?

I'm asking this question. Obviously, because I don't know the answer. If light is made up of electric and magnetic fields, are those fields effected by magnets?

If I held a powerful magnet in my hand, would the path of the light be effected by the magnets field? Is the light repulsed, or attracted to the magnet? Is there a change in the magnets flux? Is it a case, I'd need a very big magnet to see the effect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Kohl

krd wrote: »
    If light is electrom-magnetic radiation why don't I see it bend and warp around a magnet?

I'm asking this question. Obviously, because I don't know the answer. If light is made up of electric and magnetic fields, are those fields effected by magnets?

If I held a powerful magnet in my hand, would the path of the light be effected by the magnets field? Is the light repulsed, or attracted to the magnet? Is there a change in the magnets flux? Is it a case, I'd need a very big magnet to see the effect?

Scroll down to the bottom of this article and read about Delbruck scattering. The article also mentions that light wouldn't be bent to any measurable level. I'd imagine that because the photon has no charge, that's why it cannot be bent to any appreciable level.

http://www.wonderquest.com/extinctions-safetyglass-magnetslasers.htm

Advertisement