Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another HRM Thread

Options
  • 11-03-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭

I've done a search and had a browse of previous threads. But they are normally revolve around higher end models than i'm considering.
    I can see the benefit to GPS, or some of the more advanced HR functions. But tbh I know I won't get the use of them. So I'm just looking for basic HRM functions so I can track my training in a very basic fashion.

So basically,
    Heartrate - Current, Workout max, Workout average.
    Calorie expenditure per workout.

Being able to graph HR vrs time would be useful, but not a main concern

So I assume a low end polar will be fine, something like an FT4.
    I'm willing to go a little higher if i'm missing something thats very useful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I had a polar F6 that was great. You could track real-time hr on-screen (watch screen), and it would tell you your average HR for the entire work-out, but it wouldn't plot HR against time. Perhaps a cheapy LIDL job might suit your needs? They're typically around €20, when available. Just make sure you get one with a HR strap, rather than the watch that records your HR based on sensors on the back cover of the watch (which is wildly inaccurate).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I use the Lidl HR solution and find it great. It does use the chest strap and i find it very accurate. However it does not record max, average HR etc Just shows you the current rate and warns you when you get over you max rate. (Seems based on 220 less age)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,117 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I had a polar F6 that was great. You could track real-time hr on-screen (watch screen), and it would tell you your average HR for the entire work-out, but it wouldn't plot HR against time. Perhaps a cheapy LIDL job might suit your needs? They're typically around €20, when available. Just make sure you get one with a HR strap, rather than the watch that records your HR based on sensors on the back cover of the watch (which is wildly inaccurate).
    I'm not sure i'd trust the calorie burn features from a Lidl HRM.
    I'd rather go with a known brand.
    I've found a site selling Polar FT4's for $88, also seen soem Suunto's around simialr.
    I use the Lidl HR solution and find it great. It does use the chest strap and i find it very accurate. However it does not record max, average HR etc Just shows you the current rate and warns you when you get over you max rate. (Seems based on 220 less age)
    I can do without the average as IMO its a useless number of disimilar sessions, but not having the max is a write off for me. I want to know what i'm hitting during tough short runs, or during a 5 min snatch test. Neither of these spots put im in a position to check my watch.
    Obviously real time HR has its use in making sure you hit a threshold. But i want the other basic stuff- I just don't want to pay $300 and get lots of features I don't need.

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm not sure i'd trust the calorie burn features from a Lidl HRM.
    I'd rather go with a known brand.
    I've found a site selling Polar FT4's for $88, also seen soem Suunto's around simialr.

I can do without the average as IMO its a useless number of disimilar sessions, but not having the max is a write off for me. I want to know what i'm hitting during tough short runs, or during a 5 min snatch test. Neither of these spots put im in a position to check my watch.
    Obviously real time HR has its use in making sure you hit a threshold. But i want the other basic stuff- I just don't want to pay $300 and get lots of features I don't need.

I got a garmin 305 for 95 Euro and a 405 for 105 in the last year. Look for refurb on Amazon or similar. The watch with be as new but the HRM will be new. There is not much difference in price then between the GPS and non GPS models. You just need to shop around for a bargain really. I saw the 405 in a sports shop for 355 euro over the weekend for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Hey Mellor, you cannot go wrong with a 305 its what i use and you should be able to pick one up on the cheap.
    Just be mindful that the garmin HRM's can spike a bit. I actually found the polar hrm to be more stable and no spiking. If the polar FT4 gives you what you need then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I have the 310xt on one arm and the F4 on the other, a few medallions and I will look like Mr T. I gave up on the Garmin HR but the Polar is always bang on. The F4 is basic enough - will give me average, max and calories burned off 220 - age. I have not gone into learning the features too much but it doesnt seem to hold the info in the watch like the Garmin does so if I am doing a few sessions I either try and make a firm mental note of the stats or write them down.

Its also water resistant as well so i have it in the pool as a basic stop watch as I am always worried I will bang the Garmin off the wall and its not the most hydro dynamic watch out there

All in all a great buy, cost me 50 sterling on sale with sportpursuit with the strap included

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I've got the FT7 and find it great. Was going to go for the 305 but the GPS features would have been wasted on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

rom wrote: »
    I got a garmin 305 for 95 Euro and a 405 for 105 in .... I saw the 405 in a sports shop for 355 euro over the weekend for example.

Best price I could find for the 405 (well actually the 405cx incl HRM ANT+ ...) was £131 at http://www.handtec.co.uk/section.php/344/1/running-gps. A bit more than rom paid for the 405, but still a lot less than prices elsewhere. Just waiting for delivery now :)

Just for example you got
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Forerunner-405-Running-GPS-w-HR-USB-ANT-Green-/180730700959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1463a49f which works out at 116 euro. Now it says refurb'd by garmin which means that its an old watch and new HR monitor.

Amazon has refurbish from time to time. My next watch will be a refurb without HR monitor as i have one already.

• Advertisement

Just for example you got
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Forerunner-405-Running-GPS-w-HR-USB-ANT-Green-/180730700959?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1463a49f which works out at 116 euro. Now it says refurb'd by garmin which means that its an old watch and new HR monitor.

Add US$32 for shipping to Ireland (and possible Excise duty) and you there is a smaller difference between ordering 405 (refurb) from US ($163 via ebay) or 405CX (NOH) from UK (£140 via handtec). {"NOH term was first introduced by Garmin as the term refurbished would sometimes imply that the device was an overly used product which had been restored. However NOH devices are practically brand new – in most cases the only change seems to be the outer box which is replaced often by a white plain box"}
    Amazon has refurbish from time to time. My next watch will be a refurb without HR monitor as i have one already.

Defo makes sense at the prices available on ebay, amazon handtec etc. for the refurbished/NOH/or whatever units.

Why not
    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/1176/garmin-forerunner-405-heart-rate--hrm--green----noh

125 pounds do 135 with shipping , every little helps :)

"Heart Rate Monitor INCLUDED" at the bottom of the page

I buy mine from the US where they all love trading up to the best one. It does mean a long wait for delivery but I rather to save.

'coz they did not have that on the site yesterday when I ordered :(
    Oh well - £6 for those two little letters "cx" and the blue rather than green colour. The price of fashion :p

{http://www.gpswatchreviews.info/gps-watch-comparison-of-garmin-405-vs-405cx.html}

ROM wrote:
    Just for example you got
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Forer...item2a1463a49f which works out at 116 euro. Now it says refurb'd by garmin which means that its an old watch and new HR monitor.

Looks like a good deal for a 405. But I want a HRM not a GPS. It's about twice the price of a FT4. GPS would be waste on me.

I'm looking at:
    FT4 - All the features I want, but no computer connectivity. I could log manually I suppose. Holds 10 sessions
    FT7 - Same as above except that it holds 99 sessions and can connect to a PC with Flowlink (expensive add-on)
    RS100 - Adds lap/round functionality.

Oldlegs wrote: »
    Best price I could find for the 405 (well actually the 405cx incl HRM ANT+ ...) was £131 at http://www.handtec.co.uk/section.php/344/1/running-gps. A bit more than rom paid for the 405, but still a lot less than prices elsewhere. Just waiting for delivery now :)

405cx arrived, but having charged it overnight it was 100% dead before lunch time. Garmin support suggested I leave it another day and try the full reset again. No joy. This appears to be a problem that has cropped up a few times with 405/405cx re. the battery/power control :(

Anyway, Handtec told me to send (they will cover the postage) it straight back for a refund or a new unit. :)

Will give it one more roll of the dice and if that fails, will have to find something else that does the same for the same price :confused:

Finally got around to ordering this on Ebay.
    Went for FT4 in the end.

Figures a graph of HR verses time would of been good, but wasn't paying for a much higher model just for that feature

• Registered Users Posts: 19,501 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Oldlegs wrote: »
    405cx arrived, but having charged it overnight it was 100% dead before lunch time. Garmin support suggested I leave it another day and try the full reset again. No joy. This appears to be a problem that has cropped up a few times with 405/405cx re. the battery/power control :(

Anyway, Handtec told me to send (they will cover the postage) it straight back for a refund or a new unit. :)

Will give it one more roll of the dice and if that fails, will have to find something else that does the same for the same price :confused:
    Did you order a newly-overhauled model? I wonder if they replace the batteries in the reconditioned watches. The batteries do expire over time.

NOH (Newly Overhauled Model).

Return and replacement process was completed in 4 days. They offered to refund my postage but got them to throw in the handlebar mount instead.

Fingers crossed on the 405cx...
    +1 for Handtec service.

Advertisement