Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else sick of the strawberry alarm clock?

Options
  • 11-03-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Ok so i'll keep this quick but am i the only one who has gotten really bored with the Fm104 strawberry alarm clock. They do the same thing every morning. We have pj gallagher saying "fnorty fnour" on some prank call for the 3rd time this week, we have the two main presenters butchering some song [I was so annoyed when they covered gotye's somebody that i used to know and turned it into the white van man song!]. And finally they try and imitate a few people on rte and then spend most of the skit laughing to themselves while we wait for it to end. To be honest the only reason I listen is because in between all of this recycled rubbish they play some good music. When I heard fm104 going on about "Jim-Jims coming home" i thought I would be listening to the greatest show in the world they way they went on about it!

Is the strawberry alarm clock getting really boring 24 votes

Yes - Its recycled rubbish every day!
    0% 0 votes
    No - It make my life worth living!
    100% 24 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I have an alarm on my blackberry...

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I stopped listening for the very reasons you have said above. I had to flick every time them
    Prank calls with fnorty fnour came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

It's the worst rubbish - but Hector is just as bad, 98 is the same, LiteFM is so, well, LITE. Morning Ireland is yer only man...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mymalovesme

Absolute rubbish. But there's a market for it. Just look at the success of Jason Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jaydeep

It is what is it is and it serves who it serves.

If you dont like a show such a this - you have grown up and your needs from radio have changed, happens everyone.

They are no 1 in the market. Yes they replay the sh*t out of things in different hours to capture different audiences, oldest trick in the book.

Its simple really, if you don't like a woman - you aint gonna ride her - if you don't like the
    show then flick & go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,264 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

PJ Gallagher is as funny as a boot in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Applebiter

if you don't like a woman - you aint gonna ride her

Ha! Best reply ever;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

jaydeep wrote: »
    It is what is it is and it serves who it serves.

If you dont like a show such a this - you have grown up and your needs from radio have changed, happens everyone.

They are no 1 in the market. Yes they replay the sh*t out of things in different hours to capture different audiences, oldest trick in the book.

Its simple really, if you don't like a woman - you aint gonna ride her - if you don't like the
    show then flick & go.

Don't follow the logic behind liking, or not, and riding. Agree that moving on is the only way to deal with RADIO not to your satisfaction. Otherwise the offending broadcaster is RIDING you.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

Jim and nobby dont gel well at all - u can tell jim is just bored, at least when jim and colm were together there were some laugh out loud moments, now its just dross, formulaec radio

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It was brilliant back in the day but when Colm and Jim Jim went to RTE it went downhill fast. Thought the return of Jim Jim would help but it hasn't really. Slightly better, but still nowhere near what it used to be. I used to get up earlier so I could listen to more, now I only occasionally listen.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

yiz are all wrong, it's a beedin' deadly show. Keep it up lads! The show I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Tuned into the Strawberry Alarm Clock this morning, first time in ages, seriously, how in lords name is this so popular ? Its unfunny, their lame attempts at banter, Mark Noble continues to mystify me at just how bored and disinterested he sounds, his 'chemistry' with Jim Jim is non-existant. The skit which featured the worst 'impersonations' of Graham Norton, Brendan O Connor and Dara Obrien singing the bohemian rhapsody had the potential to be good, it wasnt, it was student radio standard . Considering the calibre of the competition ie Mario on gift grub, the fm104 lot look like Tops of the towns attempting comedy circa 1978. HOW IS THIS RUBBISH POPULAR ?

As a station I have attributed fm104's 'overall' success in recent years to their appealing to the broadest common denominator music-wise and sticking to that formula while 98fm imploded and q102 plays the poor utv relation and seems happy playing that role.

Fm104 models itself on capital fm in London, but the products are very different. While tight links dominate on both stations FM104 is utterly devoid of personality. Even on a music driven station any radio consultant will tell u a jock needs a personality link once in a while, and while you get this on capital, you certainly dont get it on fm104, hence why do they dominate in dublin? Dub's have a sense of humour and bags of personality as do irish people in general, so why oh why do dubs tolerate, nay tune into this station in their droves ?

I was never a big fan of foley but he is streets ahead of anything the strawberries can offer and will take listeners from fm104 without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TP1969

AS someone who has travelled and lived abroad, I am often bemused why, in Ireland, many people seem not to realise there is a whole world of radio which comes from outside the Island.

Why someone should anyone continue to listen to The Strawberry Alarm Clock when they say they don't like it, is something I don't understand.

I have a Wifi radio in our kitchen. I have a Tune in Radio on my phone. I have an internet connection which works most radio stations around the world. national Public Radio, BBC, the list is endless.

Out of the thousands of stations available, why would someone choose to listen to the one they say they don't like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

TP1969 wrote: »
    AS someone who has travelled and lived abroad, I am often bemused why, in Ireland, many people seem not to realise there is a whole world of radio which comes from outside the Island.

Why someone should anyone continue to listen to The Strawberry Alarm Clock when they say they don't like it, is something I don't understand.

I have a Wifi radio in our kitchen. I have a Tune in Radio on my phone. I have an internet connection which works most radio stations around the world. national Public Radio, BBC, the list is endless.

Out of the thousands of stations available, why would someone choose to listen to the one they say they don't like?

Irish people are habitual listeners, and the same presets are still in the same places from radio to radio, car to car. Most people will be a listening to 98, 104, Q102, and to a smaller extent Today FM, 2FM, Newstalk. Not to take away from the product they offer, but it makes it harder for new stations to make inroads into the JNLR's.

Irish people are habitual listeners, and the same presets are still in the same places from radio to radio, car to car. Most people will be a listening to 98, 104, Q102, and to a smaller extent Today FM, 2FM, Newstalk. Not to take away from the product they offer, but it makes it harder for new stations to make inroads into the JNLR's.

So you think sheer laziness is the reason someone listens to a program they don't like, as they cant be bothered to change the channel?

That doesn't seem likely, I have to say.

Just to clarify I am absolutely not a regular listener to Fm104 or any show on the station. I merely tuned in yesterday to see if it had improved at all since i last tuned in about a year ago, it hasnt, why it attracts listeners amazes me.

Like yourself i listen mainly to stations from abroad on my pc as i dont have a wifi radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

So you think sheer laziness is the reason someone listens to a program they don't like, as they cant be bothered to change the channel?

That doesn't seem likely, I have to say.

Actually yeh, I do think that. People moan about politicians but they still vote for the same old guy all the time. The powers and resources of Sky News Ireland failed, against the same old six one news. But, it is something that people are just used to. MOST people dont like change, tell me what has changed in 104 in the past number of years. Then look at 98 and the amount of changes which have led people to switch off.

Actually yeh, I do think that. People moan about politicians but they still vote for the same old guy all the time. The powers and resources of Sky News Ireland failed, against the same old six one news. But, it is something that people are just used to. MOST people dont like change, tell me what has changed in 104 in the past number of years. Then look at 98 and the amount of changes which have led people to switch off.

I have no idea what "people" want and have no mandate to speak for anyone except myself.

I have no idea about Sky News Ireland or six one news as I don't see either. I can't tell you what has changed in 104 or 98 as I don't listen to them.

Now you seem to suggest that these "people" get some sort of vicarious pleasure by listening to radio programs they say they dont like, and when they afterwards moan about it that's when the pleasure happens?

I can only speak for myself, but if I don't like a radio program I switch over to something I might enjoy and have never met any of these people you speak for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I love the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Great format at the minute. It has changed direction since Jim returned from the dark side. It hit an all time low with the previous presenters but has regained it's position as the most listened to of all the stations in Baile Atha Cliath.

bbability wrote: »
    I love the Strawberry Alarm Clock. Great format at the minute. It has changed direction since Jim returned from the dark side. It hit an all time low with the previous presenters but has regained it's position as the most listened to of all the stations in Baile Atha Cliath.

bbability Im shocked , nay stunned at that glowing tribute of one of the most over-rated shows on Irish radio. Believe me , Foley will skin them in the JNLR, it'll take a year but he'll do it.

• Advertisement

heybaby wrote: »
    Believe me , Foley will skin them in the JNLR, it'll take a year but he'll do it.

Why do we have to believe you? Why can't we just wait and see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Why do we have to believe you? Why can't we just wait and see?

We will have to wait and see, he said it could take a year? :confused: It's an opinion, and 'believe me' is a turn of phrase that shows pure belief in his own opinion... you don't have to believe him.

FWIW, I think he's right, Foley will destroy them. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I agree about Foley killing them also. It took a little while for them to get used to the new format but they seem to have it down now. I reckon Strawberry will start losing listeners while Foley gains them from the next JNLR onwards.

Jason Todd wrote: »
    We will have to wait and see, he said it could take a year? :confused: It's an opinion, and 'believe me' is a turn of phrase that shows pure belief in his own opinion... you don't have to believe him.

FWIW, I think he's right, Foley will destroy them. :D

I say a year because it generally takes at least a year for a new show like breakfast to 'bed in', with listeners' listening habits and additionally for the breakfast show to have a knock on effect on the rest of the days shows. There will be jnlr results in the interim but they wont give a 'true' reflection of foley's affect on breakfast figures till at least the year mark.

Advertisement