Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moebius 1938 - 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

RIP :(

Giraud is up there with the likes of Eisner and Tezuka in terms of all-time masters of the comics medium. It's a real shame that so many Western fans will likely only know him from his brief Marvel work because of the difficulty in getting hold of English translations of his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Oh no. What a great comic artist. I never looked at european comics until I found an old collection of his work in Chapters about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I was lucky enough to have access to tons of foreign language comics when I worked in Forbidden Planet/Titan publishing (London). Métal Hurlant introduced me to so much wonderful material that mainstream comic readers miss including Moebius, Richard Corbin and Jean-Michel Nicollet.
    OK I liked it for the boobie pictures. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

OldGoat wrote: »
    I was lucky enough to have access to tons of foreign language comics when I worked in Forbidden Planet/Titan publishing (London). Métal Hurlant introduced me to so much wonderful material that mainstream comic readers miss including Moebius, Richard Corbin and Jean-Michel Nicollet.
    OK I liked it for the boobie pictures. :o

Heh, I'm sure that's part of the reason people like Manara's stuff too. Mind you, it's interesting to see that a lot of the Euro stuff that has nudity in it still feels less exploitative than some of the T&A cape stuff...fewer contrived poses and ass-shots, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A sad passing though I never took to his style - I always felt it lacked something. Looking right now on google images most of the work is very "thin" he didn't seem to like dark shadow or creating the illusion of depth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I can see what you are saying about the 'thin'- but I really liked his sleek style.

I know what you mean about the thinness but I think it's as much an aspect of the whole ligne claire approach as anything else - he's not the only artist I've seen whose style doesn't make much use of line-thickness to establish relative distance, and while it's a bit jarring at first it can work very well. I'm always amazed at how much detail you'll usually find in each panel of a Moebius comic.

Advertisement