Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridge not working on slope

Options
  • 11-03-2012 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Common knowledge to most of you I'm sure, but thought I'd post to maybe help someone in the future.........

Fridge/Freezer wasn't working on new MH. LED sequences all perfect, but just not getting cold. Read in manual that slope was a factor, but guessed that would only be for fairly severe slopes. However, my driveway is a bit sloped, so thought I should try to rule that out - so ramped rear wheels up on 3 inch thick planks, made no difference. Went another layer higher, so rear wheels sitting 6/7 inches up. Still not quite level, but now we have ice in the ice-box;)
    Just in case anyone think's their fridge has packed it in - any reasonable slope seems to stop it working.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Its much less than you'd think. To put in it terms of degrees:

http://www.thetford.com/HOME/CUSTOMERSUPPORT/FAQ/GasAbsorptionRefrigeratorsFAQ/tabid/433/Default.aspx#how:
    How level must the refrigerator be?

If you have a gas absorption refrigerator, normal leveling of the vehicle is sufficient. The refrigerator is made to operate within 3 degrees off level side-to-side and 6 degrees off level front-to-back (looking at the front of the refrigerator).

http://www.a-tconsulting.co.uk/caravan_tech/fridges.html
    Another cause of poor performance is operating the fridge when it is not level. If you stand in front of the fridge it's most sensitive to tilt from left to right. It is also sensitive from back to front but not so much. Pre 1986 Electrolux fridges have a tilt tolerance of only plus or minus 3 degrees, later ones are much better at plus or minus 6 degrees. At these latter angles a caravan would be uncomfortable to live in so in practice you needn't worry about your fridge being level if you have a 1986 or later model.

Electrolux fridges with just 3 degrees tilt tolerance include models RM122, 123, 212, 212E, 4206, 4207, 4200, 4201.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

yeah, my fridge is sideways in the MH, so gets tilted sideways in a down sloping driveway - and there's only 3 degrees allowance for this.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

it gets worse if the burner and flue aren't in good clean shape .

Advertisement