Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Apps for Android TABLETS!!

Options
  • 10-03-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just upgraded my HP Touchpad to the CyanogenMod ICS CM9 Alpha 2 ROM and it's absolutely transformed the usability and user experience of the tablet.

I've already loaded some of the apps I use most on my Phone (Galaxy S2) but given the difference in screen real estate and general uses between phones and tablets I thought it would be worth starting a thread dedicated to sharing knowledge of the best tablet apps.

The problem is I don't know of any so hopefully others with more user experience of Android tablets than me might contribute their thoughts???

Cheers,

Ben
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Will post some that I use on my Dropad when I get home.

To start with try "Fancy", great way to kill a few minutes just sitting on the couch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Hmmm. A lot of the apps I use on my tablet are fine for the phone too. The apps that I would only use on the tablet are

Zinio - Magazine reader. Quiet cheap subscriptions to common magazines.
    ezPDF - Read PDFs on your tablet. Acrobat PDF Reader works fine but ezPDF is better.
    tTorrent Lite - Torrent client for Android.
    Cabbage - For sending texts
    Sentinel 3 - Spending too much time on this game
    MX Video Player
    Estrongs file manager - handy for browsing shares on the network
    WiFi File Explorer - handy for accessing tablet files over the network.
    Jump Desktop - Best Remote Desktop client I could find.

All of the apps above work fine on the phone too but I've a phone and a tablet and those apps get more use on the tablet due to the size of the screen.

Androidify(Fun)
    Angrybirds(duh)
    Box(.net)(Functionality)
    Busybox(Functionality)
    Cabbage(Text without a sim)
    Dropbox
    ES File Explorer
    Fancy
    Google Music(duh)
    HD Widgets Tablet
    Last.FM
    MoboPlayer or yxplayer
    ModernCombat2(Fun) [ZOMG FPS ON A TABLET IS ACTUALLY FUN!]
    MyPhoneExplorer(Great sync/transfer tool)
    Netflix(Its a tablet loike)
    Screenshot(so you can post them in the screens thread)
    Thumb(fun)
    ThumbKeyboard4 (Really good tablet kb, better than swype IMO)
    Tinyshark(Mooosic)
    Titanium Backup Pro(A must on any droid)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks lads, a great set of apps for me to get stuck into.

An odd one which I find really useful is TV Listings - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vaudauxruth.tv.ireland&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS52YXVkYXV4cnV0aC50di5pcmVsYW5kIl0. If your tablet is normally on the coffee table in front of the TV or thereabouts it can be a real handy way to quickly suss out what's on "Now and Next" on all the channels available via UPC/Sky.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Suggestions for best ICS Tablet Launcher? I'm using Go Launcher but am open to alternatives.

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

ED E wrote: »
    Google Music(duh)

Just tried to install this and I get the following message:
    This item cannot be installed in your device's country.

Is there an issue with using it in Ireland?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Yeah. You have to Google the APK. Then to get an account you have to log on to Gmail through a US proxy to sign up. It comes built in with Honeycomb and ICS so step one isn't necessary on those tablets. For step 2 you only have to use a us proxy once (sign up using a PC).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Zaph wrote: »

I think you need to use a US proxy for registration only, but after that it's ok to use anywhere. I don't have it installed, but I'm pretty sure I read that here before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

BenThere wrote: »
    Suggestions for best ICS Tablet Launcher? I'm using Go Launcher but am open to alternatives.

Ben

I've heard Nova and Apex both bandied about as the 2 best tablet launchers in something I was reading this morning. I've downloaded both and will get to mess about with them in a while.

Zaph wrote: »

5starpool wrote: »
    I think you need to use a US proxy for registration only, but after that it's ok to use anywhere. I don't have it installed, but I'm pretty sure I read that here before.

This. Its US only now(presumably for legal reasons) but US customers are allowed to stream while they travel, so all you gotta do is install while on a US proxy/vpn. Or just nab the APK(Not stealing if its free) from a compatible device(my Sony device worked with the backup of my samsung based tablet which I installed it on while actually in the US).

Only thing to consider is that you dont want to put your google details through a dodge proxy as the man in the middle can see all;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Grassey wrote: »
    I've heard Nova and Apex both bandied about as the 2 best tablet launchers in something I was reading this morning. I've downloaded both and will get to mess about with them in a while.

I'm using Nova on my phone and love it. I was disappointed with it on the tablet though - seems to heve a few bugs that need ironing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

Everyone seems to go for Estrongs file manager but I prefer File Expert on my tablet. Just think it looks nicer and is more user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

ADW Launcher on tablets is fantastic, much better than stock Honeycomb launcher :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

SteM wrote: »
    Everyone seems to go for Estrongs file manager but I prefer File Expert on my tablet. Just think it looks nicer and is more user friendly.

Root Explorer all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Osmos HD....great chilled out game, on sale at the min, 49c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

bandit197 wrote: »
    Osmos HD....great chilled out game, on sale at the min, 49c.

Great on a tablet and a great price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

anyone recommend a good app for downloading music

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Photoshop touch,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's a lot of apps from Autodesk that are only for tablets for any Engineers or Engineering students it's handy for displaying and possibly editing files... Most are free too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

donalg1 wrote: »
    anyone recommend a good app for downloading music
    tunee music is great but you'll need an ad blocker for air push ads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Pulse News app is excellent.

Advertisement