Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Stopping Specific Plays

Options
  • 10-03-2012 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd set up a thread for people to state their problems with stopping certain plays and we as a community can help people combat these plays.

Fire away :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Eh... all of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

An absolute ton of people probably want help on this too. Stopping the HB slip screen. No one uses it on me but it's a potential killer. Also, what's best to call against a draw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

matthew8 wrote: »
    An absolute ton of people probably want help on this too. Stopping the HB slip screen. No one uses it on me but it's a potential killer. Also, what's best to call against a draw?

I don't have any problems stopping the HB screen as long as I am in man coverage. If you are in zone, you get burnt a hell of a lot. Only yesterday in another franchise, I had a lad 3rd and 22 on his own 6 yard line, I dropped back in cover 2 sink, he threw a screen and took it to the house. Madden seems a bit broken in regards man coverage and screens, as the O-Line just lets the DB in man coverage run through to cover the HB who the screen is supposed to go to. So if you think a screen is coming, make sure the HB is being man covered and you are not in zone.

In regards stopping draw plays, I just send 6 men and make them charge up the middle instead of outside. If you drop 7/8 back in coverage, draw plays can be devastating.

Does the spy help against the draw? Because it seems fairly useless in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Raoul

SantryRed wrote: »
    I don't have any problems stopping the HB screen as long as I am in man coverage. If you are in zone, you get burnt a hell of a lot. Only yesterday in another franchise, I had a lad 3rd and 22 on his own 6 yard line, I dropped back in cover 2 sink, he threw a screen and took it to the house. Madden seems a bit broken in regards man coverage and screens, as the O-Line just lets the DB in man coverage run through to cover the HB who the screen is supposed to go to. So if you think a screen is coming, make sure the HB is being man covered and you are not in zone.

In regards stopping draw plays, I just send 6 men and make them charge up the middle instead of outside. If you drop 7/8 back in coverage, draw plays can be devastating.

On that point, draw plays can be devastating when the other person is expecting you to pass. This worked really well on you santry when i was chasing in our last game. Also good for no huddle as it doesnt take the players long to get back to the line.

• Advertisement

It won't happen again :p

Yeah, you are right.

I wont be chasing the game.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

Yep Ben is spot on. Man defence stops screens. HB draw some kind of a middle blitz.

Spy is good for anyone who likes to run with their QB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

So we've got threads for running the ball and passing it but I'm not sure about defense?

Anyway, my defense is pretty bad so I was hoping for some tips? I've searched google but only really find those sites where they make you buy the ebook. They look great but no way am I spending €30 on one. So has anybody got any tips or strategies? I like to use the Atalanta Falcons playbook just because I play with them online but are there any other playbooks I should take a look at on defense?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Probably best to stick it in here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056573650

will merge the threads in the morning.

• Advertisement

How do you stop Vernon Davis? I just lost a friendly to the 49ers and he got 13 receptions for 285 yards (compared to 1-15 for the others) and there was just no way to stop him. If you got a LB to cover him the LB was too slow, if you got a DB the DB is never close enough to him, and if it's zone a LB automatically covers him. I had a 4th down stop to win the game, called double safety blitz with 4 DBs in man coverage and no one else in coverage. Instead of covering the guy who caught absolutely everything in the game one of my safeties decided it would be a great idea to cover Kendall Hunter instead and I had to change to zone and he got me. It's just ridiculous how Madden defenses act like the TE doesn't exist. Is there a spotlight button like in Madden 10?

Yeah, I would also like to know how to stop a TE, I use the Lions playbook and I can't find a play that double covers the TE.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You can spotlight players lads, doesn't always stop him but makes it a bit more difficult anyway I guess.

You need to click the right stick to bring up the ''coverage, hot routes, audibles etc'' menu. Then click hot routes, click the button of the player you want to spotlight and then click A to spotlight him.

You can both manually double the TE and spotlight him.

To double cover a player, pick the player who you want to use to cover the TE, press down on the directional pad and then select whatever button is over the Tight Ends head.

If I play the colts again I'll be putting 3 people on davis!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Lads, spotlighting only works in zone, it basically instructs your defenders to pay particular attention to that receiver.

As mentioned above you can call a defensive hot route and manually put one of your safties into man coverage on the TE.

Also, you could go into defensive assignments and select your top CB to always cover the TE, though that only applies in man coverage plays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Also to spotlight a receiver Hold down RT and press the button of the guy you want to spotlight, though in Human v Human games you don't see an actual spotlight for whatever reason but the functionality still works.

Not a really a how to stop, more a how to do:

How do I motion my TE to block? I've seen it happen in a couple of games I've played recently, the opposition will move the TE to block and the opposition HB gets a nice gain on that side.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Berty44

To motion a player, highlight him and move left/ right.

Two things you can do. Firstly you can change the TE assignment to block left or block right. Then motion him to where you want him. Secondly you can simply motion him. If you snap the ball when he is between the tackles he will automatically block.

Berty44 wrote: »
    To motion a player, highlight him and move left/ right.

Two things you can do. Firstly you can change the TE assignment to block left or block right. Then motion him to where you want him. Secondly you can simply motion him. If you snap the ball when he is between the tackles he will automatically block.

Brilliant mate, thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

How do you stop the Quick toss or an outside run with a really speedy back?

Hold your linebackers back. If your defensive line is at all decent in a 4-3 they can consume the offensive line and tight ends and your linebackers can come up and make the tackle from a base cover 2 position.

cover 2.

Advertisement