Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigeon with an egg still stuck to it.

Options
  • 10-03-2012 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Had a friend call me a short while ago about a feral pigeon with an egg still stuck to it. It appears the egg is broken but still attached to the pigeon and he says he has seen the pigeon six or seven times today over a three or four hour time period and each time it had the egg stuck to it.

Anyone else heard of anything like this before? Just seems a long time for a feeding bird to be going around with an egg stuck to it.

He says he will try to get a picture of the pigeon and mail it to me, so if he does I will put it up on here.

Comments

Kess73 wrote: »
    Had a friend call me a short while ago about a feral pigeon with an egg still stuck to it. It appears the egg is broken but still attached to the pigeon and he says he has seen the pigeon six or seven times today over a three or four hour time period and each time it had the egg stuck to it.

Anyone else heard of anything like this before? Just seems a long time for a feeding bird to be going around with an egg stuck to it.

He says he will try to get a picture of the pigeon and mail it to me, so if he does I will put it up on here.

Once it's broken and drained, while not impeding the pigeon's movements it should fall off within a day or two.
    I kept pigeons for years and I had this happen a handful of times, only had to remove it myself once.
    He could catch it and remove it himself if it's bothering the pigeon though. The old reliable cartoon/sitcom style cardboard box, string and a stick will work if he hasn't got a loft.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Went over and saw the pigeon. It is a feral pigeon, and it indeed has an egg attatched to it. There is a hole on one side of the egg and it appears to be pretty much drained, but I was amazed at how well it is staying on despite the pigeon being very active. The bird has gone along his shed roof, the roof of his house, plus into one of his trees with the egg scraping along behind it.
    It is the first time I have heard or seen something like this in a wild bird. Have seen it happen with domestic hens and ducks, but never on a wild bird before so it was something new for me.

We followed the bird until she landed on a bit of wasteland nearby and I got a snap of it and the egg using my phone.

Here she is, for anyone who wants to see.

0011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Update on the pigeon. She was spotted again today and only a little bit of the egg was left.

Advertisement