Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eric Clapton

• 10-03-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Looking for a bit of advice as to which album would be a good 'starter' for a new Clapton fan. Always liked his music but after reading his autobiography would like to get into it more. There is so much out there, do I start at the very begining or his more recent and work back or just dip into whatever takes my fancy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I would start with the iconic blues album "John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton." IMO, he has never played better. Incidentally, the first time his voice was heard on record is on this album, singing "Ramblin' on my Mind."

Another favourite of mine is "Clapton Unplugged" as is "From the Cradle."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

hahaha....I'd imagine you're going to get a lot of varied opinions on this one.

Personally I guess it really depends on what it is you're current listening to, EC has done a lot of different stuff over the years.

Might be an idea to get one of the 'Best of' compilations, see which tracks you like most and start on that period? I'd go with the Cream of Clapton maybe

Some of my favourites are Journeyman and Riding with the King

Hope this helps rather than confuses :D

wexie wrote: »
    hahaha....I'd imagine you're going to get a lot of varied opinions on this one.

True. Clapton has a fairly large and varied out put. So it could be hard to know where to start. The compilation suggestion is a good one. OP, you could also check out You Tube, make a note of what you like and find out what albums they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭fourcats

I thought this would probably be the case, everyone has their own favourites. His styles are quite diverse, depending on when where and who he happened to join up with and according to himself, at what stage in his addiction he was. I always favoured the Allman Brothers, thought Clapton was a poor substitute but after 'getting to know' him through his autobiography I decided to give him another chance. He himself favours 'Journeyman', Amazon have this along with Unplugged and From the Cradle as a good deal so that seems an appropriate starting place. Many thanks for your advice.

fourcats wrote: »
    Unplugged and From the Cradle

As good a place as any to start IMO. The former has a lovely version of "Layla" which I think is much nicer than the original.

Happy listening ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Dark Chocolate

Another recommendation for 'Unplugged' from me. It helped me through a tough period in a way I had never thought of. It's got everything I'd want and would be definitely a desert island disc for me.

The playing throughout is superb by both Clapton and Andy Fairweather-Low, but especially, some of the solos are just sublime, from himself and the pianist, Chuck Leavell. The easy, languid pace of some of the slower tracks is sort of comforting, but it's got a bit of pace and just a little humour, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Unplugged for me too. I particularly like Layla and Old Love, beautiful stuff.

His book gives the background to of all his albums, definitely worth a read. Looking forward to 'Unplugged'. Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Disraeli Gears
    Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
    Slowhand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) Depends on your taste.
    I prefer his more blues based stuff hence:
    1.Fresh Cream - a hardcore blues jam session.
    2. Layla and other assorted love songs. Sublime playing with Greg Allman
    3. Bluesbreakers ( the Beano album ) He still used a Les Paul at the time and the tone is gutsy and rich.
    Don't forget the three Guitar festival DVDS - the last one in Chicago is out on Blue Ray.Go to town, buy a small VALVE pre amp off ebay and a good set of headphones. You will hear it like it was intended.

• Advertisement

Thanks thats great, I love the bluesy stuff too,his live DVD with Duane Allman in New York is brilliant as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

24 Nights - 2 year compilation of live recordings from the Albert Hall.

Love the maturity in his playing/interpretations of his classics.

Of course you can't compare to the originals & you should go thru the whole catalog for the 'gems' but I'd start here.

Good listening...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The book is excellent isn't it fourcats? He gives a very honest account of himself, its amazing to think he survived to tell the tale after the kinda of abuse he put his body through.

My personal favourite time period with Clapton were his days with Cream. Disraeli Gears and Goodbye are worth getting your hands on, the latter contains 'Badge' an epic track he co wrote with George Harrison.

Delighted to hear from someone else who enjoyed the book.I was brought up in the same part of UK and unfortunately am old enough to remember seeing John Mayall etc advertised locally, so brought back nice memories. Before I read the book I really didn't like him as a person, thought of him as a bit of a fraud when put up against the likes of Duane/Greg Allman, but he is honest enough to admit he felt himself that way in the company of some of the greats of his profession and he has to be respected for that. He obviously is hugely wealthy, but he never rubbed the readers nose in it. I intend to read it again with the benefit of having the albums to refer to.
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply. [where is Pyonyang?}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Amazing how his racist rant from the 70's seems to have been forgotten by people!

Temaz wrote: »
    Amazing how his racist rant from the 70's seems to have been forgotten by people!

The OP did not ask for opinions on his racist rant...just on his albums.

Also...speaking of "forgotten"...this thread has long since been forgotten as it is two years old. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement