Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ageing of transplants

Options
  • 10-03-2012 7:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

i'm here watching the fountain of knowledge that is greys anatomy and some young guy is getting a penis transplant. i dont know if thats even possible or ever been done but that dosnt matter. as the guy in question is young my first thought was how would a transplant like this age?

or for heart, kydney, etc, how do they age? for instance, if a 20 year old guy gets a heart from a 60 year old donor, would he have an 80 year old mans heart at 40?

all the above is hypothetical....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Actually the transplanted organ would technically only be a few years old since most cell types in the body renew themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Actually the transplanted organ would technically only be a few years old since most cell types in the body renew themselves.

The problem is that they don't do it perfectly i.e. telomere shortening.

Improbable wrote: »
    The problem is that they don't do it perfectly i.e. telomere shortening.

Which is why cloning is also an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Starla_o0 wrote: »
    Which is why cloning is also an issue

Telomere shortening isn't the biggest issue with cloning, indeed some cases it was found that the telmeres were longer in the cloned animal than in the donor. The biggest issue is DNA methylation...

But all of that is more of an aside...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Telomere shortening isn't the biggest issue with cloning, indeed some cases it was found that the telmeres were longer in the cloned animal than in the donor. The biggest issue is DNA methylation...

But all of that is more of an aside...

Interesting. I hadn't actually heard that before. Any links?

• Advertisement
Advertisement