Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuller's Vintage Ale

Options
  • 09-03-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I've getting more and more into ales over the last 18 months, and had tried Whitewater's Clotworthy Dobbin aged in a whiskey cask at the craft beer fest in the RDS (won free passes and a bunch of coupons from Dublin Event Guide - happiest man ever) and it absolutely blew my mind ha. Don't know how it tasted to more experienced palates, but it's the best thing I've ever tasted. I love the regular Clotworthy but this stuff was amazing.

Aaanyway, long story short, I went into into *quick google* Jack Carvill & Sons offo on Camden Street, cos I'd seen a whiskey cask aged Ale in a fancy box in their window a few weeks previous which I wasn't able to afford at the time, but they didn't have it any more. Bought a Fuller's 2011 Vintage Ale instead. Just drank it there, and it was pretty delicious. And packed a serious punch, Jesus. Has anyone kept any of them for a few years and tried it? I'm considering getting a couple to keep for a few years.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The clottworthy tasted completely different to the normal stuff - shows what a massive difference a barrel finish can make.

Ola dubh is (I think) old engine oil finished in highland park casks. Brewdog paradox and a few others are aged in whiskey barrels.

For the fullers, they are very expensive at about 10 quid a bottle. As a rule, I find that beers that come in special cardboard boxes are probably overpriced. Fullers standard range are all quite drinkable. I thought their chiswick bitter was very good, not sure its still around

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Brewdog paradox and a few others are aged in whiskey barrels.
    As with Ola Dubh, Paradox starts life as Riptide, as does Tactical Nuclear Penguin. Except, they've been doing so much barrel-aging and distilling that raw Riptide is very hard come by these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

Bought a Fuller's 2011 Vintage Ale instead. Just drank it there, and it was pretty delicious. And packed a serious punch, Jesus. Has anyone kept any of them for a few years and tried it? I'm considering getting a couple to keep for a few years.

I had a Fuller's 2008 Vintage which I quaffed there at Christmas. It was a typical winter warmer ale...lots of malt, toffee and fruitcake-type flavours, a fair bit of alcohol heat to it as well. There was still a decent level of hop to it, although I suspect it might have mellowed somewhat (without the benefit of drinking a 2008 fresh for comparison).

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Old Sage Brush

The clottworthy tasted completely different to the normal stuff - shows what a massive difference a barrel finish can make.

Ola dubh is (I think) old engine oil finished in highland park casks. Brewdog paradox and a few others are aged in whiskey barrels.

For the fullers, they are very expensive at about 10 quid a bottle. As a rule, I find that beers that come in special cardboard boxes are probably overpriced. Fullers standard range are all quite drinkable. I thought their chiswick bitter was very good, not sure its still around

Yeah I couldn't believe how much richer the taste was. Really loved it. Are Ola Dubh or Paradox readily available? Contacted whitewater and they said they'd be bottling the remaining whiskey cask dobbin. Would love to get my hands on it.

Yeah, figured the boxed stuff was probably overpriced. Got it for 7.50 i think which isnt too bad. But it's kind of a cool novelty to get beer packaged so nicely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Yeah I couldn't believe how much richer the taste was. Really loved it. Are Ola Dubh or Paradox readily available? Contacted whitewater and they said they'd be bottling the remaining whiskey cask dobbin. Would love to get my hands on it.

yes both are available in all good off licences, drinkstore usually have them and afaik they are both staples of their respective brewer, although paradox seems to be more sporadic in availability. 3 different ages for ola dubh corresponding the 3 different hp ages, the 10 being reasonably afforaBle and the 18 less so. Not sure that a higher aged whiskey barrell translates to better beer, but as with all these things there is only one way to find out.
    Yeah, figured the boxed stuff was probably overpriced. Got it for 7.50 i think which isnt too bad. But it's kind of a cool novelty to get beer packaged so nicely.

hard to bring yourself to drink it though

• Advertisement
Advertisement