Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holland's of Bray

Options
  • 09-03-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi guys,

So it looks like I'll be doing some house sitting in Bray over Paddy's weekend and my BeoirFinder app tells me Holland's do Cask Ales!? Anyone know if they'll have anything on? and if they have a good range of draught/bottled otherwise?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They do cask ales and have a very decent selection of bottles in their off license. As far as I know they don't usually have an up to date bottle menu for the bar and it's more a case of need to know what's in stock next door in the off license and then the barman will go fetch it.

You can ask on Facebook to see what they have on cask. http://www.facebook.com/hollandsfinewines

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Old Sage Brush

Great news, thanks a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

irish_goat wrote: »
    They do cask ales and have a very decent selection of bottles in their off license.
    I haven't ever seen anything on cask (visit a couple of times a month), but they have a great selection on draught (5am Saint, Punk IPA, Galway Hooker, Curam, etc.). Well worth a visit, and as Irish_goat pointed out, a massive selection in the off-license that you can enjoy in the bar.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I've definitely heard people talk about them having cask on and the Beoir directory says they do it too.

http://beoir.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&__%20%20%20%20catid=0&sobi2Id=34&Itemid=80

Must be hidden away somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Old Sage Brush

They said they haven't decided yet if they'll have one on over Paddy's weekend, but will post on the facebook on Monday if they're going to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

irish_goat wrote: »
    I've definitely heard people talk about them having cask on and the Beoir directory says they do it too.

http://beoir.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2Task=sobi2Details&__%20%20%20%20catid=0&sobi2Id=34&Itemid=80

Must be hidden away somewhere.
    Reminds me of JJ Harlows in Roscommon. They also have beer on cask, but neither pub has ever actually had any beer on cask, any time I've been in either establishment. I'm sure they've had beer on cask at least once (Holland's had HopHead last November, and Harlow's had HobGoblin at one point), but in both cases, it's a novelty and not a feature. Don't get me wrong, love both establishments and delighted to have pubs with a good supply of craft beers, but unless I'm mistaken (and I could be), I reckon the cask is just lip-service.

Incidentally, any time I'm in either establishment, my OH and I seem to be the only punters drinking craft beer, which is a bit of a shame. I hope the pubs keep fighting the good fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bray is weird, even their Porterhouse has Guinness on tap, and I think Carlsberg/Heineken/Bud too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Always has. The story goes that the pub had a regular clientele from before the brewery opened and this is to keep them. 16 years later I wonder how many of them still drink there.

Mind you, Porterhouse North felt the need to add a Guinness tap last year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

BeerNut wrote: »
    16 years later I wonder how many of them still drink there.
    None, it's a horrible place to drink. Most of the regular clientele these either weren't born then, or were drinking whiskey for teething purposes.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    Mind you, Porterhouse North felt the need to add a Guinness tap last year too.

Didn't know that.

Advertisement