Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portlaoise station

Options
  • 09-03-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

I was looking at overhead of Portlaoise station and was hoping someone familiar might answer this: in addition to the through tracks there appears to be a bay platform facing southwest towards Cork on the south side of the station - is it signed into service for passenger trains?

If so, would it be possible for a train coming up from the Cork direction to access the bay and head back in the same direction without too much fuss?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

dowlingm wrote: »
    Hey folks

I was looking at overhead of Portlaoise station and was hoping someone familiar might answer this: in addition to the through tracks there appears to be a bay platform facing southwest towards Cork on the south side of the station - is it signed into service for passenger trains?

If so, would it be possible for a train coming up from the Cork direction to access the bay and head back in the same direction without too much fuss?
    It looks like it is serving the maintenance depot only and the traincare centre but may not be open to passenger traffic?

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,646752,698574,7,3

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 starhillroad

I'll hazard a guess and say I think that is the former bay platform for Portlaoise (Maryborough)-Kilkenny-Waterford trains. That line closed in April 1963.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I'll hazard a guess and say I think that is the former bay platform for Portlaoise (Maryborough)-Kilkenny-Waterford trains. That line closed in April 1963.

Spot on. During the lifting of the Portlaoise/Kilkenny line in the 1960s a train of wagons carrying recovered track materials ran away and ended up smashing into the concrete buffer stop in the bay platform. Even in the 1980s it was still possible to see the cracked concrete buffer stop still in situ. Amazing the trivia that sticks in the mind. :D

Advertisement